Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Curios Problem, Here.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BonaDea2008

BonaDea2008

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:25 PM

I'm giving some history first because, for some reason, I think it might help.

I went from dial-up to dsl a month ago. I first installed the software on my XP platform. The last two options for installing the software I declined. They would have provided something called "windows live with internet explorer" and a host of protection software. I needed neither and I don't want to logon with IE. I use firefox. I suspect that because I opted out of the last two options on installation I didn't get a nifty little desktop icon to just double-click and go through the process of "logging on". No problem, I just go to "network connections" and log on/log off from there.

Today, I installed the DSL software to my Acer laptop. I want to make it clear that I'm not setting up a wireless connection here (for some reason, the minute they heard laptop, my ISP got hung up on the idea of wireless). I want the DSL connection. Well, the software went through the process of installing and again, I opted out of the last two options on installation so, no nifty little desktop icon. No problem, right? Well, here's what's happening. The "internet icon" in the tray at the bottom of my computer shows that I'm online. However, even when I am online (and the icon is clearly blinking blue, showing that I'm on the internet), when I right click the system tray icon it brings up a menu that includes an option to connect to the internet but not to disconnect. Well, again, I'm already on the internet, surfing all over the place.

When I go to the control panel in vista, and then to "network and sharing", it says I have no DSL connection and therefore, provides me with no toggle to log on/log off. Again, the icon in the tray at the bottom of my computer shows that I AM online and well, it's right, I am able to surf. When I pull up the Acer internet management, it shows that I am connected to DSL but, unlike every other type of available internet connection, it does not give a connect/disconnect toggle button for the DSL. So, my situation is this, to get on and off the internet on my laptop, I have to unplug/plug the dsl cord to the laptop. Is this going to be my only option with this laptop?

Why isn't Vista recognizing that I have a DSL connection? (For some reason, I thought that part of what the software from my Internet Service Provider was supposed to do was communicate with Vista and let it know the DSL connection existed. My internet service provider says that is not the case.)

Is there a way to let Vista know that I do have a DSL connection so that it provides me with the toggle from online/offline, either from the "networking and sharing" or from the icon in the system tray, instead of having to connect/disconnect the DSL cord?

I'm not sure why being left with the only option of plugging/unplugging is bothering me but I've always been taught that if you don't "disconnect" using operating system software feature, you could be leaving yourself open to problems. This seems to make sense to me when I think about the fact that every site I know of that has a login feature, such as yours, provides a logoff feature. I know that's not quite the same as the OS feature and, being unplugged from the outlet, one is obviously not connected, but somehow, instinctively, I don't like the fact that I can't logoff. Besides that fact, it's just a little less of a pain to be able to click a toggle switch than to plug/unplug. Maybe that shows just how spoiled our society's become but every other appliance I can think of has a switch so that you don't have to plug/unplug from the wall.

Well, I hope this makes sense and if anyone out there can help, I'd really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BonaDea2008

BonaDea2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

Well, I waited two days and since I didn't get a response, I spent the better part of today trying to figure out how to get that toggle on my dsl. I noticed, by the way, that in my first post I tended to use logon/logoff, online/offline, and connect/disconnect interchangeably. Hope that didn't cause confusion.

Anyway, after spending several hours re-learning and reviewing much that I'd long forgotten about operating systems and networking :trumpet: , I believe the solution to my problem came down to something so simple I'm now :thumbsup: and :flowers: .

I always use "hibernate" with my laptop. In the middle of everything I was doing today, for some reason windows shut down. Well, after it rebooted, I went back to my network connections and THERE IT WAS - no more big red X on my local area connection and my enable/disable toggle is now available. In other words, all I ever needed to do was restart (instead of hibernate) my computer so Vista could catch up to what was going on with my network connections. So, I spent hours today giving myself an Excedrin headache just to find the answer to my question by sheer fluke.

I thought I'd post this on the off-chance someone else runs into the same problem. Me, I'm off for a six-pack and some serious mental vegitation - TV sounds really nice right about now.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:54 PM

Sounds like you earned your brew today.

Thanks for informing us what you figured out. Hope it is the fix. Good luck.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users