Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search_glow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 baileds

baileds

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

Ok, I know just enough about computers and forums to frustrate me when I find a problem. I hope I'm asking this in the proper place. I saw a question about search_glow on Google, but don't know how to find it, even with a search of the site.

I use WinXp Home edition with SP-3. I forget how to find out which version of IE I have. I have McAfee Security Suite.

I restarted my computer after an automatic McAfee update. Upon restart, the McAfee icon in the toolbar had a warning, so I opened McAfee Security Suite and I wasn't protected, so selected 'fix' and everything turned green/ok. Shortly thereafter I heard my secondary harddrive running when it shouldn't have been, but noticed nothing else wrong or suspicious. I opened Windows Task Manager and saw search_glow was running. I googled it and came across a post that said to download combofix.wps from Bleeing Computer. Another post said to disable Windows Live Toolbar, which I did on my other account (not the administrator). I haven't seen search_glow anywhere since. Spybot found nothing wrong; McAfee scan found nothing wrong.

So now what?

Sharon

One of the most common questions people have is whether or not they are infected and then how they should go about fixing it. This forum is designed to let you ask these questions and discuss various malware (spyware, viruses, adware, trojans, worms, backdoors, and hijackers). Do you just want to rant and rave about the people who make these programs? Then go ahead...just keep it clean!

On a last note, this forum is not to be used to post HijackThis logs. All HijackThis logs should be posted in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I think you meant to post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

My error, take a look at http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet...searchglow.aspx

I guess I don't understand what you are asking...if you've removed it.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2008 - 12:13 PM.

#3 baileds

baileds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

I don't think I removed it. I find it hard to believe it was as easy as temporarily disabling the windows toolbar add-on on only one internet acct. That would be wonderful if it was that easy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users