Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

But I Thought I Was The Xp Administrator?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:08 AM

OK, most of the time my XP computer works just fine and I'm the administrator of it, officially and in terms of user profiles. But once I had to use the XP install disk to do a repair install.
The odd thing was in that instance, XP didn't let me log in as administrator. I put in my password and it said it was incorrect. But I know my password was correct. I use it every day to log in
when the computer is working fine. I tried multiple times. What's going on here?

Sometimes when I'm browsing through the system folders I see a folder for me (the Administrator), a folder for default user, a folder for all users, and then oddly enough I see a folder for the Administrator. If I'm the administrator, why does XP need a separate folder for the Admin? Something doesn't seem right here. I wish I could tell you which folders I'm talking about but I forget where I saw them. I probably saw them in some technical program which bypasses the Explorer.

Is there a way I can make XP know that I'm the REAL Administrator and I'm not joking around? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

XP...has various levels of permissions. Permissions are rights/privileges given to any particular user group.

I've installed the Security Tab in my versions of XP Home...so I can see the permissions existent on any file easily.

The basic groups listed (without adding any) under the Security Tab for any file/folder are:

System (has access to everything)

Users (defined by Admin)

Administrators (default Admin and users given Admin rights/privileges)

Creator/Owner or Owner (my user identity, set up when I installed XP)

Everyone (defined by Admin)

The System Restore Volume Info folders (at least...that's what I think they are)

I suggest installing the Security Tab for users who want a quick, easy way to experience the responsibilities of the Admin (that require booting to safe mode in XP Home).

How to login as Administrator in Windows XP - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

How To See the Security Tab in XP Home - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windo...-Tab-in-XP-Home

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2008 - 12:01 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

Is there a way I can make XP know that I'm the REAL Administrator and I'm not joking around? :thumbsup:

No there isn't as that information is stored in the SAM File. The real administrator's account is denoted with the UID (User Identification) Number of 500. All other accounts start at 1000. I think any way.

#4 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

I will check out those links pretty soon. But hey, I still don't get it. I installed XP Home (SP2) OEM on the computer myself. I made myself the Admin, and created no other accounts. I do administrative duties on it all the time.
So why is Windows acting like someone else is the Admin? It only happens when using the install disk. Luckily everything is running fine now (I think), but I'm just wondering in case I need to do a repair install again.

Edited by BlackBurst, 19 September 2008 - 02:05 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

By default there is 1 account created during install, and that is the true administrator account with UID of 500 which has full rights to everything. Then when you give yourself an account after the install your account has administrative rights, but those are also limited.

#6 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:20 PM

By default there is 1 account created during install, and that is the true administrator account with UID of 500 which has full rights to everything. Then when you give yourself an account after the install your account has administrative rights, but those are also limited.

OK I am thinking about that now that you mention it. So who sets the password for that original first true admin account (UID 500)? All I know is XP is acting like it wasn't me who set the password, but I'm the only one who set up the computer and the only one who uses the computer. And I've only ever used one password on the computer. The computer has never even been connected to the internet. Something is very fishy here.

So if XP made true admin acount UID 500 and set a password without me and gave me basically a "fake" admin account with a password that I know, then how do I upgrade to full admin and get full control of my own d***** computer without knowning that first password that XP chose without me? This just doesn't add up??!

Edited by usasma, 20 September 2008 - 06:47 AM.
See *******

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

If you don't want to understand something...that's your right.

But...I think sufficient detail has been laid out...so that others who may have some of the questions that you asked...may gain by your effort...because they WANT to understand.

Louis

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

OK I am thinking about that now that you mention it. So who sets the password for that original first true admin account (UID 500)? All I know is XP is acting like it wasn't me who set the password, but I'm the only one who set up the computer and the only one who uses the computer. And I've only ever used one password on the computer. The computer has never even been connected to the internet. Something is very fishy here.

So if XP made true admin acount UID 500 and set a password without me and gave me basically a "fake" admin account with a password that I know, then how do I upgrade to full admin and get full control of my own damned computer without knowning that first password that XP chose without me? This just doesn't add up??!

First of all, if your computer is from a major OEM, for example, Dell, Gateway, HP, or other, then your main administrator account is blank or null. So when you attempt to login via Administrator via Safe Mode or Recovery Console just hit enter, and that should log you in.

Second of all, if your computer is a custom build with your own copy of XP, then you are responsible for setting an Administrator Password during the Install. If you didn't then it is blank.

Finally, if you want to set the Administrator account password then simply go to run and type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes and then you can change the passwords.

#9 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:08 AM

So if XP made true admin acount UID 500 and set a password without me and gave me basically a "fake" admin account with a password that I know, then how do I upgrade to full admin and get full control of my own d***** computer without knowning that first password that XP chose without me? This just doesn't add up??!

First of all, if your computer is from a major OEM, for example, Dell, Gateway, HP, or other, then your main administrator account is blank or null. So when you attempt to login via Administrator via Safe Mode or Recovery Console just hit enter, and that should log you in.

Second of all, if your computer is a custom build with your own copy of XP, then you are responsible for setting an Administrator Password during the Install. If you didn't then it is blank.

Finally, if you want to set the Administrator account password then simply go to run and type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes and then you can change the passwords.

Thanks very much CryptoDan. You solved the mystery. And I appreciate that you did it without giving me a hard time like that other guy. :flowers: :thumbsup:

What you're saying makes sense and matches my experience with the XP install disk. My XP install disk is an OEM disk. I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't come from Gateway or HP or Dell or whatever. It's just XP Home and nothing special. I got it for a nice price online. But anyways, in order to get the repair install to work, I think, like you said, I had to just hit enter. This confused me at first because I thought it was glitching or skipping the login or something. I've never experienced a null or blank password before.

I'm not sure what the status is of my (True) Admin password. All I know is that I chose a password to use for myself and that's the password that I use every day to get into the computer. I just assumed that the person who sets up the computer and makes other users is the admin, but I guess not in the case of XP. Perhaps somehow I got the XP install to skip the (True) Admin password setup and so that's how it's blank or null now. That certainly wasn't my intention. Oddly enough, it still let me have near-admin status as the "owner" or whatever you call what I used to think was the admin--ME! :trumpet:
It's goofy. But what you said does make sense.

I'll try the run command you mentioned and see if I can get it to where it ought to be. I appreciate your clear concise answer. I made a backup of my working system with Acronis, so in case I mess up and lock myself out even more, I can go back to how it used to be.

Anyways, have a good weekend and thanks again. *mumbles to self*: "There WAS something fishy. Damn null/blank passwords!" LOL

Edited by usasma, 20 September 2008 - 06:47 AM.
See ******

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users