Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2002 email accounts?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tom_nimmo

Tom_nimmo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:09 AM

This is my situation

I have several email accounts

1. Microsoft Exchange Server account (IMAP)
2. University IMAP account
3. Hotmail HTTP account
4. Yahoo POP3 account[/B]

Account 1
Okay I will start with the Microsoft exchange server account (IMAP). I created this account first. So I can now see 3 folders in the folder list.

• Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]
• Mailbox – My Username
• Public Folders

All my emails send and receive, into my Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]. What are the other 2 folders and if I want to remove them ( I have tried in outlook but it wouldn’t let me) do I have to talk to the person who controls the server or is it not possible?

Account 2
Next the University IMAP account given to all students at my university. I put in the server information and the account created fine. This created a new folder which I called uni mail and it has an inbox in it which receives my uni emails perfectly. My only problem with this account is when I delete an email it scores a line through it but when I synchronize the email stays in the inbox with the scored line through it, Can I tell outlook to tell the uni server to delete it from my inbox completely?

Account 3
Next the Hotmail HTTP account. This created a new folder which I called Hotmail Mail and in the folder there are four sub folders. Inbox, Deleted items, Junk email and Sent items. I can receive emails fine into the inbox.

Account 3
Now the Yahoo POP3 account. When I created this no folder was created for the accout in the folder list. I then realized that the emails where going to my Outlook Today - [Personal Folders] account. Why dose this happen on this account only and not the Uni one and the Hotmail account?

So if someone sends me an email to any of my email addresses I can receive them in outlook when ever I synchronize. But as I see it its all a bit messy as the yahoo and Microsoft Exchange Server emails go into one inbox and the others into separate ones. I would understand if they all went into one inbox and were sub divided into the accounts in that email box or if each went into an individual email box but they don’t seem to do that!

To make matters even more complicated I have a Pocket PC, XDAII and would like to be able to synchronize all my emails via active sync. It seems that active sync only allows the emails that are in the Outlook Today - [Personal Folders] to be synchronized with the Pocket outlook so is it possible to have all my emails go into the Outlook Today - [Personal Folders] account.

Sorry a bit long just thought I would try sort all the problems out at once.

PS should I just forget Outlook 2002 and get Outlook 2003 (is it a lot better)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:21 PM

Whew...lets see what I can help you with and what I cant.

[quote]
Account 1
Okay I will start with the Microsoft exchange server account (IMAP). I created this account first. So I can now see 3 folders in the folder list.

• Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]
• Mailbox – My Username
• Public Folders

All my emails send and receive, into my Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]. What are the other 2 folders and if I want to remove them ( I have tried in outlook but it wouldn’t let me) do I have to talk to the person who controls the server or is it not possible?

[/quote]

This is pretty normal. Outlook today is the mailfile created on your computer. Mailbox - My username is the actual mailbox for you on the exchange server and public folders are public folders accessible by everone on the exchange server. You are stuck with these so just ignore them.

[/quote]
Account 2
Next the University IMAP account given to all students at my university. I put in the server information and the account created fine. This created a new folder which I called uni mail and it has an inbox in it which receives my uni emails perfectly. My only problem with this account is when I delete an email it scores a line through it but when I synchronize the email stays in the inbox with the scored line through it, Can I tell outlook to tell the uni server to delete it from my inbox completely?
[/quote]

You should select Edit - Purge Deleted Messages menu command to remove deleted messages from a folder.

[quote]
Account 3
Next the Hotmail HTTP account. This created a new folder which I called Hotmail Mail and in the folder there are four sub folders. Inbox, Deleted items, Junk email and Sent items. I can receive emails fine into the inbox.
[/quote]

Finally a working mailbox ... hehe ;)

[quote]
Account 3
Now the Yahoo POP3 account. When I created this no folder was created for the accout in the folder list. I then realized that the emails where going to my Outlook Today - [Personal Folders] account. Why dose this happen on this account only and not the Uni one and the Hotmail account?

So if someone sends me an email to any of my email addresses I can receive them in outlook when ever I synchronize. But as I see it its all a bit messy as the yahoo and Microsoft Exchange Server emails go into one inbox and the others into separate ones. I would understand if they all went into one inbox and were sub divided into the accounts in that email box or if each went into an individual email box but they don’t seem to do that!
[/quote]

That is because OUtlookToday is your default person local folder. You should create a new personal folder and name it yahoo and then direct the yahoo mail to it. Look under accounts to see how to do it. Thisis all from memory as I do not use outlook.

[quote]
To make matters even more complicated I have a Pocket PC, XDAII and would like to be able to synchronize all my emails via active sync. It seems that active sync only allows the emails that are in the Outlook Today - [Personal Folders] to be synchronized with the Pocket outlook so is it possible to have all my emails go into the Outlook Today - [Personal Folders] account.
[/quote]

Lets save this till the other stuff is finished.

Hope some of this was helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users