Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Type Of Tv Tuner/pci Card Should I Get?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whatever8586

whatever8586

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

I would like to be able to capture, edit and convert HDTV on my PC. I need to know what the best option for me would be? I would like to spend under $150 if possible.

I know literally nothing about this stuff so any suggestions about what would work best for me would be great. I have a HD cable box if that matters. And I will be using my desktop to record tv shows in which I'd like to be able to edit, and convert them to mpg, avi files, etc.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

In my limited experience, you are addressing two things:

a. The capture which is a primarily hardware function.

b. Conversion to various file formats, which is a primarily software function.

Obvious Possibilities:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/P...CTV+HD+Card.htm

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/P...mily/Studio.htm

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html

There are a number of possibilities, take your time and review various ones before deciding.

Hauppauge and Pinnacle are two of the more reliable vendors (not costing an arm and leg) in this field.

Louis

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:05 AM

There is also the ATI All in wonder, I use to have the video card years ago and it worked great. HERE is a link to ATI and the TV in wonder card... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 whatever8586

whatever8586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Thanks so much!

So what is the main difference between the Pinnacle one that costs around $80 and the Hauppauge one that costs $250? Is the more expensive one worth it? They both capture in HD, right?

Edited by whatever8586, 20 September 2008 - 01:31 PM.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:40 AM

My Experience :

I went to a computer store and bought the cheapest TV tuner card manufactured by Adcom. I thought I just want to watch TVwhy spend more money.

Man I was wrong, the cheaper cards use cheaper chipsets. They do not process the TV signal real well. So the output is crappy. I had the same cable on TV, TV would show the channels fine. But my tuner card was showing them with huge noise. This tuner card used Brooktree BT878 chipsets. It has recording function but would record only uncompressed AVI format.

So after a month, I went to same store and bought AVermedia's AVerTV Combo PCI-E. Now this card gace nice performance with same cable tv signal. The TV output was clear resolution was better. This card can record in MPEG and MP4 format without any codecs installation(direct hardware encoding). So you have VCD/DVD and iPod formats.

Wish you happy TV tuning :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 21 September 2008 - 04:54 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

Aver has long been a respected name in this field...looks like a pretty good card, Romeo29 :thumbsup:

The OP asked about differences between products...well, it's kind of hard to say without having said products at hand, IMO.

Before I bought my first capture card (ATI All In Wonder 7500), I did extensive research and was happy with it.

Things have changed a lot...but any prospective purchaser of a capture card or device...still has a lot to absorb. The following link may just serve to muddy the waters more, but it illustrates some of the more basic options available and choices to be made: http://dvr.about.com/od/capturetvwithacomp...tp/toppick1.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users