Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Connectivity And Wireless Router Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FoxyKitsuneko

FoxyKitsuneko

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:33 PM

Hi there!

I'm having some networking issues that I'd really like to resolve once and for all.

I purchased a new laptop and I'm attempting to connect it to the internet via wireless. I have successfully had internet for about 30 seconds before it dropped the signal (this is after I have restarted the modem, router and vonage device). It will keep picking up the signal and then dropping it. A similar situation happened before when I brought a work laptop home. It would knock all the other computers of the network and only log on for a minute or 2 at a time before losing it's connection. My mother's laptop, on the other hand, always connects just fine. All 3 pc's in my house, the desktop and both laptops, are running windows xp. My router is a linksys wireless-b broadband router: BEFW11S4.

I'm also looking to forward my ports to increase downloading speed from my laptop but when I attempted to log into my wireless router's web interface the username and password were not working. After this I attempted to reset my router and log in with a blank username and admin as the password. I got an Error that said: "Error: User not allowed to log in the User level". When resetting a router, is there a specific procedure aside from pressing in the reset button for about 30 seconds?

I believe this might be a dynamic vs. static IP issue but even if I'm correct I'm unsure how to go about fixing it.

If someone could help me figure this out or at least point me in the right direction I would be so so grateful!

Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

Are you sure that you have connected to the proper wireless network? It is possible that you are connected to your neighbour's network, which has a different username/password combination. Make sure the name of the network you have connected to is your own. Also, make sure your wireless network is not a default name like "linksys", "dlink", "default", or anything like that as your neighbour may have the same wireless network name, which would complicate the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users