Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd/rom Drive Not Reading

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Prevatius

Prevatius

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

I'm running Windows XP, and I have a problem with my DVD/ROM drive (HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B). It shows that it's working on my computer, and it can play audio CDs, but it cannot play CD ROMs or DVDs. I think it has a problem reading the disc, and I don't know why. I don't remember when this problem started, unfortunately, but it might have something to do with an Anti-virus program, or maybe with parts inside of the computer being jarred due to minor impacts.

I tried troubleshooting, and I tried disabling and uninstalling/reinstalling, and lastly tried removing the drive and plugging it in again to my computer. Nothing worked.

Please assist, or let me know if you need more info. Thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by Prevatius, 18 September 2008 - 09:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

Do you have another drive you can plug in and try? Or, another computer to plug in the one thats not working? DVD drives go bad, but luckily they are not expensive and easy to replace. If you need a new drive I would recomend checking out newegg.com. They have good prices and ship quickly.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Prevatius

Prevatius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users