Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu's Paste

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rebellion534

rebellion534

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

hello everyone, i have a question. i was cleaning my other computer, and i accidentally pulled the thing in the heatsink (the lock to remove it), i thought it will only remove the fan alone, but the heatsink was removed with it. what happened is, the cooling paste was exposed for like 20 seconds. then i returned and locked the heatsink back to its original place. is it still safe to turned my pc on? is there any chance that it will toast?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:36 PM

I don't know what the accepted practice is when you remove the heatsink, but I've removed two without changing the thermal paste before reinstalling and haven't had a problem. I had one off for two weeks waiting for a replacement motherboard. I stored the heatsink/fan in the box it came in.

Jim

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

If the thermal compound wasn't dried out then I would give it a try, you will want to monitor the temperatures to make sure that the CPU doesn't overheat. The thermal compound enhances the transfer of the heat from the CPU to the heat sink cooling the CPU. If the CPU gets too hot the computer will shut itself down. If you have any doubt, you can always purchase a tube of compound like Arctic Silver and reapply it. You will want to clean both surfaces of the CPU and heat sink. The edge of a credit card makes a good soft scraper. You can use alcohol to clean the surfaces once the compound has been removed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 rebellion534

rebellion534
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:05 PM

thank you for the fast reply, ill give it a try. since the comp will auto shutdown, that will mean that its overheating. :thumbsup: the paste is not dry, thank you very much.. :trumpet:

EDIT:

i turned it on, and there's no problem. thank you DC3 and Jim P. :flowers:

Edited by rebellion534, 18 September 2008 - 10:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users