Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Quit Working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RoseyLTree

RoseyLTree

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

I have an exercise DVD that I pop in my computer DVD. It's always worked. I've used it five or six times maybe. Today I kept getting a system error message and the DVD would shut down. I cleaned the DVD itself (with alcohol) tried rebooting-- same thing. Other DVDs are still working fine, so it's not the player. Did it just "wear out" or is there something maybe I can do? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled). Then try the DVD again.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Use soapy water, not alcohol
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 RoseyLTree

RoseyLTree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

I tried what you both suggested, cleaned the DVD with soap and water. I did the uninstall on device manager. Still get the same error message. I tried playing it also with Prism. I have to play one DVD I have with it (it's a local church service). Anyway, thought it was going to work on there at first, the audio is there, but the video is all distorted. Any other ideas? Thanks anyway.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Alcohol can be used to clean CDs and DVDs, it is effective for removing greasy finger prints and stubborn stains. There are a number of sites that actually suggest the use of alcohol.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

Alcohol can be used to clean CDs and DVDs, it is effective for removing greasy finger prints and stubborn stains. There are a number of sites that actually suggest the use of alcohol.

I use baby wipes, since they are softer.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:43 PM

Have you tried the DVD on another player? If so, did it work on there? From what I've read I would not think so. If not, I would think that the DVD is the culprit and I'm not sure there is anything you can do... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 RoseyLTree

RoseyLTree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

This morning I tried the DVD on another player fully expecting it to not work, but it did! I'm more puzzled than ever now.

Edited by RoseyLTree, 19 September 2008 - 11:35 AM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:15 PM

Today I kept getting a system error message and the DVD would shut down.

Can you repeat the error and write down exactly what it says?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#10 RoseyLTree

RoseyLTree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

CyberLInkPowerDVD DX has encountered a problem and needs to close. (then the usual MicroSoft info to review report) We are sorry for the inconvenience. To see what the error report contains.....error signature - AppName: powerdvd.exe. Then if I click on that it says: "C:\DOCME~\\Rosemary\locals\temp\fzce-- and so on. Is this what you mean?

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

CyberLInk PowerDVD DX is a program and is probably corrupt and causing the problem.
Does it show in Add/Remove Programs? Try uninstalling it. Windows Media Player should be all you need to play the DVD
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users