Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Service Pack Boot Problem Intel Based

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 danzsyco

danzsyco

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

Hello -
I have been reading the posts about the service pack update and fixes but can't seem to find a fix to my issue - most of the issues seem to be for non intel based computer but mine is - it is old a gateway that i have upgraded to XP - i think the original was Windows 98 - anyway - I don't know if this is where i need to be posting but I need help with this issue. It basically is what was already posted - it just gets to the black screen and keeps rebooting. where do i go from there? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

If so, do the following. Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 danzsyco

danzsyco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

I can't boot into Safe mode

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

At the Safe Mode menu select "Last known good configuration".

If that doesn't work insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Edited by Budapest, 18 September 2008 - 05:18 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 danzsyco

danzsyco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:47 PM

I can't boot from "Last known configuration" so i did the disk thing and typed in the chkdsk /r and it went for about an hour and then finished and I typed exit and then when all was said and done it started back up doing the reboot over and over again. I booted from the disk again after that and then started to tell it to install XP on the computer but then it said that there was another operating system already in place and proceding could cause the other operating system to not work properly so I quit there. Where should i go from here?
thanks

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:55 AM

Repeat the above but type fixmbr instead of chkdsk /r.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 danzsyco

danzsyco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

When I go to do that it comes up with a message saying that this computes has an abnormal boot cycle or system and that if i proceed things on the partition may not be accessible, and also not to do unless i have a boot issue - which I do - should I proceed anyway? I didn't want to do it without asking.
thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:49 PM

That's a standard blurb, put there for users who might just be poking around with RC commands...do it :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 danzsyco

danzsyco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

Ok I did that and nothing changed, still endless reboots

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

The next command to try from the Recovery Console is:

fixboot

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 danzsyco

danzsyco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

Ok did that and still nothing - still rebooting again and again... I typed in the fixboot and it said partition completed on C drive - successful but then when I exited and tried again - nothing same old stuff. :thumbsup:

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

Ok did that and still nothing - still rebooting again and again... I typed in the fixboot and it said partition completed on C drive - successful but then when I exited and tried again - nothing same old stuff. :thumbsup:

Before you applied SP3, did you make sure to update all your programs and device drivers?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

Just when did this upgrade from Win 98 to XP...take place?

Garbage in, garbage out still applies in the world of computing.

When...has this system last operated with a minimum number of problems?

Louis

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:08 PM

The next command to try from the Recovery Console is:

bootcfg /rebuild

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 danzsyco

danzsyco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:14 PM

My system has never had problems prior to this and now that I looked into my paperwork on it, XP is the original operating system (at least that is the sticker on the computer) if so then I have always had XP but i upgraded the personal windows office suite from whatever it was to Windows office pro 2003 over a year ago, sorry for confusion, don't know if that helps. And not specifically did i update all my drivers - I have done updates periodically but not directly before I went to the SP 3, it appeared like any other windows update to me, I didn't really think much about it, big mistake now I realize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users