Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 64-bit Worth Buying Yet?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

As you probably can figure out from the title of this thread, I'm considering buying Home Premium 64-bit. I'm not worried about the specs (I mean, c'mon, I have an SLI system with 4 gb of RAM). What I AM worried about are all the horror stories I've heard about Vista having problems recognizing SLI. I'm hoping that issue has been resolved for a while with updated drivers?

To be on the safe side, I intend to wipe clean my primary HD (after backing up data, of course) and do a full clean install of the new OS. I'd like very much to be able to take advantage of my full 4 gb of RAM and 64-bit capabilities.

Gracias!
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

You won't notice much of difference between 4 gB on 32 bit and 4 gB on 64 bit Vista (I've tried it myself)
The beginning of this article discusses the 4 gB tradeoffs: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vista-workshop,1775.html

I went to 8 gB and didn't notice much difference either - although I can keep a bunch of apps open when playing games (without noticeable lag).

The major concern will be that you locate all the drivers you need BEFORE upgrading. For example, I've got a TV card that I can't get drivers for, so it's useless to me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

All right, I can understand the point about the RAM, but there's a discernable difference between 32-bit and 64-bit when it comes to gaming, does it not? I'm also going to eventually get an HDTV and hook up my 'puter to it, although I don't know if the 64-bit makes a difference there.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

Nope, at least not in my experience. My kids play games just as fast as I do (they've got 32 bit systems with 4 gB of RAM - and I've got 64 bit with 8 gB of RAM).
My wife and I both have 32" Sharp Aquos HDTV's as monitors - and there's no difference in display properties either. (Hers is 32 bit/4 gB of RAM and mine is 64 bit/8 gB of RAM).

The primary benefit of 64 bit computing is, IMO, the increased ability to address greater than 4 gB of RAM. But, as happened with XP and is happening with Vista - the sweet spot for memory is rising as programmers realize that they can use more memory. Once the use of 64 bit becomes commonplace - then the need for greater than 4 gB will become commonplace. In short, apps don't need more than 4 gB now - but in a couple of years that'll become commonplace.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

Thanks, guess I'll wait a while before picking up Vista. Came into some nice birthday dough and was wondering what to do with it, lol! Think I'll get me a copy of Mass Effect.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

BTW - Microsoft offers this program to obtain 64 bit versions for minimal cost (if you already own a 32 bit version).
Or, some of the OEM's may offer the same program if you ask their tech support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users