Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntldr Is Missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

Sometimes I surprise even myself! I'd start singing that old song, WOE IS ME but I'd probably put out an eye! Somedays it just doesen't pay to get up! Oh well, as long as I have my bleep and a second computer all is not lost right? Say right! Please!

Ok, I ran autorun and the startup list on bleepingcomputer and felt the need to delete logonui.exe and advapi32 and I think thats all? Now all the machine will do is flash a screen that says

NTLDR is missing
Press ctrl + alt + del to restart and when i do it brings me back to the same screen. I unpluged the computer for 10 minutes, (didn't work) no matter what buttons i push nothing happens!

Is this Satan's revenge? LOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:15 PM

1. Put WindowsXP bootable CD in your CD drive and power on PC
2. When prompt comes Press a key to boot from CD... press any key.
3. Watch the Windows setup screen carefully. When comes Press R for Recovery console, press R.
4. It will ask you to choose Windows installation. Press 1 and then Enter.
5. It will ask for Administrator password. Do so.If no password is set, then just press Enter.
6. Type fixboot C: and press Enter.
7. Type copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\ and press Enter.
8. Type copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ and press Enter.
9. Restart your computer.

Assumptions:
Your CD driver letter is D:.
You have only one partition or only first partition has Windows XP installed.

#3 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

1. Put WindowsXP bootable CD in your CD drive and power on PC
2. When prompt comes Press a key to boot from CD... press any key.
3. Watch the Windows setup screen carefully. When comes Press R for Recovery console, press R.
4. It will ask you to choose Windows installation. Press 1 and then Enter.
5. It will ask for Administrator password. Do so.If no password is set, then just press Enter.
6. Type fixboot C: and press Enter.
7. Type copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\ and press Enter.
8. Type copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ and press Enter.
9. Restart your computer.

Assumptions:
Your CD driver letter is D:.
You have only one partition or only first partition has Windows XP installed.

Hello and thank you for your response! I did as you said but when I got down to line 7 it told me it was the wrong command and to type help which I did and as I scrolled down I ran into this, C:\windows over and over! how do I escape this and return to the place where I was? And also I am useing drive E with the recovery disk, will this make a differance to the letter I type in step 7 and 8? Thank you!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

C:\Windows is the screen that is supposed to come up before a command is typed...or if an inappropriate command is typed. It just reflects the fact that the RC is waiting for the user's next command.

I also believe that hitting the Enter key while in the RC makes the same screen come up :thumbsup:.

Did the fixboot command run?

If your restore files are on E:, substitute that for the D: in the instructions previously provided you. But don't try #7 until #6 has completed.

When all is done, I believe you must type exit to reboot the system and leave the RC.

Just to verify...you are using a Microsoft XP CD for this, right?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2008 - 03:14 PM.

#5 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

C:\Windows is the screen that is supposed to come up before a command is typed...or if an inappropriate command is typed. It just reflects the fact that the RC is waiting for the user's next command.

I also believe that hitting the Enter key while in the RC makes the same screen come up :thumbsup:.

Did the fixboot command run?

If your restore files are on E:, substitute that for the D: in the instructions previously provided you. But don't try #7 until #6 has completed.

When all is done, I believe you must type exit to reboot the system and leave the RC.

Just to verify...you are using a Microsoft XP CD for this, right?

Louis

Wow, that was wild! If I was a doctor I went from Dentist to brain surgeon in about an hour! I had to retry it about 5 times so that means I killed my patent 4 times but the 5 time he lived, even though he's a bit retarded, he's alive and on the road to recovery! I hope I don't ever have to do that again! I want to thank the two of you guys for all your help! Without it I would still be pulling teeth! Thank you!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:19 PM

LOL, kudos to Romeo29 for the fix :thumbsup:, happy computing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users