Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking To Streamline Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cloud13

Cloud13

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this, but this section seemed the most appropriate.

Basically I just want to improve performance on my laptop to last for the next year or so. Then I'll probably get a Mac for college, though I'd probably keep this around.

A old-ish Sony Vaio, from early '05, I believe.

I'm very certain that it's clean, since I've run avast!, Malwarebytes, and SuperAnti Spyware all within the last few days.

I spent some time yesterday uninstalling old programs I don't use anymore. As far as I know, just Disk Cleanup and a defrag are what I have left to do.

It also occurred to me that I'd like to reduce the number of processes I get, and clean up the registry, though I'm not really sure how to do that, and I'd rather not risk messing up by doing it without any idea of what I'm doing. :thumbsup:

As of this moment, I have 28 processes, minus 1 without the task manager.

So, what can I do to improve?

P.S. I just thought of something else, that doesn't happen very often, as I usually put my comp on standby. When I turn my comp on, I get a message, "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close."

I had this a long time ago, I think, then I found this MS patch that fixed it for a good while, but then it came back. It isn't too much hassle, it just pops up, I click "Ok" it comes up with a Report Error box, I click no, repeat about 10 times, and then everything is fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

FWIW: I would not worry about streamlining processes, I have about 32 running right now on this system...with no fluff.

Best advice I can give regarding "cleaning the registry" is...leave the registry alone. It's not a dirty room, to be cleaned periodically because the person living there thinks it's time...it's the guts of the operating system, installed programs, and data files on your system.

It's probably more important to remove unused programs and startup items...than to engage in any effort to "clean the registry."

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Did you run chkdsk on your boot drive?

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265 Follow the steps outlined under Manual Steps to Run Chkdsk From My Computer/Explorer and put check marks in both options (automatically fix, scan for & recover).

Do you have SP2 or SP3 installed? If so, then it seems that you should not get that Generic Host Process error message, IMO.

Louis

#3 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:21 PM

After looking at that, I decided not to clean the registry, lol.

I did that Chkdsk, when it finished the 5 phases, it flashed some info, though I couldn't read any of it before it rebooted.

I installed SP3 the other day, which I didn't even know existed. Apparently my Updater was lazy. After I've installed that, now it takes forever for Firefox to open. I'm guessing it's related...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users