Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosD

ChaosD

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hello guys

During the last two weeks maybe more, my computer crashes, meaning its stuck. It usually happens when playing a video, listening to music or playing a game.

The sound continues to play the same note and i cannot do anything.

Here is what i found from my event viewer:

The description for Event ID ( 65535 ) in Source ( STacSV ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Connection to the COM Skpi Storage Interface failed.

Here is what i tried to do :

1. Checked both of my hard drives for errors and i defraged them both
2. I have Spyware doctor and run multiple scans.
3. Used various programs to see if have anything on my computer like a trojan, like Registry Mechanic, Registry cleaner, Spybot and super cleaner.

Unfortunately i dont know what else to do and the computer keeps crashing at least 3 times a day.

Can you help please

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

STacSV is for SigmaTel Audio Service
Try updating your video driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ChaosD

ChaosD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

Thank you for your quick answer.

I have Nvidia GTX 8800 and i think i am one update back so gonna update today. Additional i checked my computer and i dont think i have anything from sigmatel.

My audio device is IDT audio, so no sigmatel there.

You think the crash is caused by some left over files?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/s....exe-20755.html
did you originally have onboard video? If you did, did you disable it?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/s....exe-20755.html
I meant to say your audio driver :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image

#6 ChaosD

ChaosD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:39 AM

Well apparently i have this file stacsv.exe since it seems IDT Pc audio that i have is from Sigmatel, "sigh".

Ok it seems the only thing i can do is to find a patch to upgrade my drives (lets hope i am lucky) or change my sound card?

Thx for the help mate, i hope patching it will remove my problem.

Again thx for the info :thumbsup:

Edit: As i thought apparently IDT doesnt supply patches to their audio , so i am sol. Oh well at least i know what the problem is, so i will have to schedule a visit to my computer store to buy a sound card and bring them my computer there to install it.

Edited by ChaosD, 19 September 2008 - 07:49 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

Installing a sound card is so easy...that it's pointless to pay anyone to do it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-a-Sound-Card

Better check to see if you have an empty PCI slot before going that route.

Louis

#8 ChaosD

ChaosD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

True, it seems easy from the guide you suggested, but what happens when the audio i have is based on my desctop board like mine (IDT) do i have to do something extra, besides uninstalling that piece of @#@%?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

When a user installs a separate, physical card for any device...doesn't matter if it's video, sound, USB, NIC...that has nothing at all to do with onboard functioning for those same system functions.

So...if I have onboard video, sound, USB, and NIC (as I do on this system)...and I choose to use a PCI card or PCI-e or AGP card rather than use the function that is preinstalled/mounted on the motherboard...I can do that.

The smart thing to do with any onboard function...is to disable it in the BIOS, if I don't intend to use it. That way it draws no resources from the system.

If I had been using the onboard and decide not to...I remove the drivers (using Device Manager), then disable the device/function in the BIOS.

Louis

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:46 AM

Can you provide your computer specs and/or model number, so we can better assist you with finding drivers. They may not be available to the public via download from SigmaTel's site, but they maybe on the computer/motherboard manufacturers website.

#11 ChaosD

ChaosD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:15 AM

Its ok mate i went today and bought a Xonar D2 (Asus) sound card for 150 Euro. Just wish me luck when i try to install it this aftrenoon :flowers:

In addition i dont know what was the problem but after one BSOD my computer would restart and as soon as i heard the welcoming music in the windows it would BSOD again. Had to go to Safe mode, unfortunately i couldnt uninstall the IDT Audio so i had to restore to a previous version.

Just hope it doesnt affect my new sound card drivers since IDT is gona stay :thumbsup:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

You may want to try this (ignore all ads), How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users