Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosts Files Infection?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 xEnvious

xEnvious

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

Hi. I don't know if it's an update from Spybot or something but Adaware finds 12 hosts files on my computer and when I try to quarantine or remove them, it takes no action. The TAI rating shows a hint of yellow, too. I ran scans in my other computers too and they all show the same result. The MRU seems dangerous as it has a bug on it.

I ran Spybot, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and a NOD32 scan but they pick up nothing. Is this something I should worry about and get rid of? Please help! Thanks in advance.

Edited by xEnvious, 18 September 2008 - 09:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

An example HOSTS file is shown here. An example of a customized HOSTS file is shown here. If you are using, Spybot S&D, it custom HOSTS file will include a line "#Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy".

To view the folder containing your Hosts file, go to Start > Run and type: %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\

The Hosts file has as no extension. The easiest way to access and view the contents is by using notepad.
  • Double-click on the HOSTS file.
  • A message will appear saying Windows can't open the file or Choose the program you want to open this file.
  • Scroll down the list of programs until you see Notepad.
  • Select it and click OK.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 xEnvious

xEnvious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Yes. I've tried that and I did find those hosts files that Ad-Aware detected as malicious. But, those same exact website names were also under "#Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy"

This means that I'm fine and it's just a conflict between Ad-Aware and SpyBot, right?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry946702
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:30 PM

Since you are already have an open topic, please continue in that thread. Do not start new threads or duplicate topics as this causes confusion and makes it more difficult to get the help you need to resolve your issues. Thanks for your cooperation.

This thread is closed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users