Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring System Settings After Virus Infection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ebencopple

ebencopple

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

I ran into a little trouble with the Antivirus XP virus that seems to be going around. Thanks to the helpful posts on this site I think I've removed the virus completely (AVG is clear, AdAware is clear, Spybot is clear, Stinger is clear) but the symptoms of it are still lingering on my computer and I'm too inexperienced to know how to restore them.

The symptoms are like this: the display background still shows the virus detection warning and the screen saver is some weird reboot message. When I go to the control panel for the display to change these things I no longer even have the option. The tabs for backgrounds and screen savers have dissapeared completely. I can't just use a restore point because the virus wiped them all.

Help?

I do have OS disks to reinstall, but I'm hesitant to use them for fear that I might wipe some of the stuff I want to keep on the computer.

Should I send a HJT log over to that forum just to be sure I'm clean before I proceed??

Thanks for the assistance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wingman

Wingman

• Malware Response Team
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

It sounds like there are still remnants of the infection on your computer. I would strongly suggest that you post your HJT log...those that analyze HJT logs have extensive training and special tools used for malware removal.
Good luck :thumbsup:
Admin/Teacher at Malware Removal University You too could train to help others.
Member of UNITE
I seek not to know all the answers...but to understand the questions - Kwai Chang Caine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users