Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Not Responsive When Printer's Also Connected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brightedge

brightedge

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a Seagate Free Agent 500GB external USB hard drive that I'm trying to get set up with a Dell XPS 400 running XP MCE2005. I also have a Canon Pixma MP530 multifunction printer. If I have both devices plugged in via USB, the drive doesn't work. If I unplug the printer, the drive works fine. Weird thing is, if both are plugged in and I try to go into Device Manager or Computer Management, nothing happens. As soon as I unplug the drive, the Dev Mgr/Comp Mgr will pop right up. I do get the "successful USB connection" beeps from XP when I plug in the drive.

Unsuccessful troubleshooting steps I've taken:
1) Unplugged all other USB devices except for drive and printer
2) Tried another external drive (Buffalo Drive Station 250GB) - same result
3) Set BIOS > Integrated Devices > USB: changed from Yes to No Boot
4) Rebooted, powered down, etc. - to no avail
5) Emailed Canon support, who suggested I disable USB Emulation (which isn't an option in my BIOS - unless it's the No Boot option mentioned in step 3)
6) Hit up Google - page after page of results...nothing useful

Aside from the obvious - use a parallel cable for the printer - does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
Paul :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:37 AM

Are you using a USB hub?
Have you tried removing the USB controllers in Device Manager and rebooting to reinstall them?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 brightedge

brightedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

Are you using a USB hub?
Have you tried removing the USB controllers in Device Manager and rebooting to reinstall them?

Not using a hub. I've also tried plugging the devices into different ports. I haven't tried removing the USB controllers yet, but I did just reload XP from scratch last week in an attempt to resolve this problem (and a few others.)

#4 brightedge

brightedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

Apparently the two USB ports on the front of the XPS 400 are part of a built-in USB hub. Once I moved both the printer and the external drive to USB ports on the back of the pc, both devices functioned perfectly. Funny thing is, if either device was connected to one of the front ports, neither device would function.

Crazy USB ports :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help garmanma.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hey, glad it's working
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users