I have a Seagate Free Agent 500GB external USB hard drive that I'm trying to get set up with a Dell XPS 400 running XP MCE2005. I also have a Canon Pixma MP530 multifunction printer. If I have both devices plugged in via USB, the drive doesn't work. If I unplug the printer, the drive works fine. Weird thing is, if both are plugged in and I try to go into Device Manager or Computer Management, nothing happens. As soon as I unplug the drive, the Dev Mgr/Comp Mgr will pop right up. I do get the "successful USB connection" beeps from XP when I plug in the drive.
Unsuccessful troubleshooting steps I've taken:
1) Unplugged all other USB devices except for drive and printer
2) Tried another external drive (Buffalo Drive Station 250GB) - same result
3) Set BIOS > Integrated Devices > USB: changed from Yes to No Boot
4) Rebooted, powered down, etc. - to no avail
5) Emailed Canon support, who suggested I disable USB Emulation (which isn't an option in my BIOS - unless it's the No Boot option mentioned in step 3)
6) Hit up Google - page after page of results...nothing useful
Aside from the obvious - use a parallel cable for the printer - does anyone have any advice?