Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Defrag

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bryan5255

bryan5255

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:42 AM

Whenever I try to defrag my computer I get a pop up error saying

MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc

I previously had a virus on my computer so I checked to make sure the file was actually still there. I even copied over the file from another computer in case it was corrupt, but I still got the same error. I've also have gotten similar errors when I try to do a windows search or play music on WMP. However not being able to defrag is the main thing I am worried about right now. Not being able to defrag is slowing down my computer and not freeing up about 20 gig I know I've got, but I don't think my computer will find unless I'm able to defrag it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:04 AM

Hey,

First try using Scannow sfc;

To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in: sfc /scannow, then hit enter

Reboot and try to defrag.

Hopefully this will fix any corrupt files and solve the problem.

If not then try re-registering MSXML;

To do this go back to the Run box and type in : regsvr32 msxml3.dll, then hit enter

-Then-

Go back to the Run box and type in : regsvr32 /u msxml3.dll, then hit enter

Reboot and try to defrag.

Post back with results.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:03 AM

If this has happened within the last couple of weeks try running System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Just out of curiosity, if you go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Disk Defragmenter, does this work?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:47 AM

How large is C: partition? How much free space currently on C:?

Louis

#5 Wingman

Wingman

• Malware Response Team
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

Have a look at this article...it contains several possible solutions... Fix MMC Cannot Open the File C:WINDOWSsystem32dfrg.msc Problem
Admin/Teacher at Malware Removal University You too could train to help others.
Member of UNITE
I seek not to know all the answers...but to understand the questions - Kwai Chang Caine

#6 bryan5255

bryan5255
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

Thank you all for your help. I ended up following the directions from the link 'Wing Man' provided as it seamed to contain all of the other solutions. I got to solution 4 on the link before I tried to defrag so I'm I don't know for sure which one solved the problem, but either way I am now able to defrag my computer. Again, thank you all.

#7 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

Good news!

And we can use the article for future reference.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users