Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death And No Restore Cd

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 vancouverock

vancouverock

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:15 AM

Hi. I've got a Toshiba laptop that displays the Blue Screen of Death directly upon startup. It reads an error of 0x000000ED stating an unmountable error as the specific problem.

Unfortunately, I've no Windows XP CD to restore my computer. And I have important data I absolutely do not want to delete from my hard drive.

Is there somewhere I can download a CD to fix this problem without deleting any info on my computer?

Thanks for any help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:24 AM

If you can start in safe mode try running a system restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process

If you can not get into safe mode try the following.

Start the computer and then press the F8 key when Windows begins to start. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

Use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

If a boot menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER. Windows XP restores the computer to the most recent restore point.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...re/restore.mspx

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:27 AM

If dc3's suggestions don't work, download this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Burn it to a CD as an ISO (if you don't know how to do this ask).

Insert the CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted.

Once in the Recovery Console type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:28 AM

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/boot.../xp_rec_con.zip

but it will need to be unzipped and burnt to cd, with the error you are getting booting to the recovery console and doing a checkdisk should fix the problem.
the command is
chkdsk /p /r

Edited by Charybdis, 18 September 2008 - 01:29 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:30 AM

FWIW: The /p is redundant, that function is included in chkdsk /r command.

Louis

#6 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

nah i always use it just in case the checkdisk is interrupted, it marks the drive as dirty and will keep trying to do a checkdisk until it succeds doing one.

#7 vancouverock

vancouverock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:10 PM

Thx for the suggestions so far. The results:

*cannot start in safe mode; Blue Screen of Death appears upon startup

*cannot restore with F8 or any other key. Advanced Options appear but system restore goes back to BSOD

*I burned the ISO file, but that wouldn't start up after I selected boot from CD. Other CDs work, though, so I guess there's a problem with the way I burned it. Please advise. What I did was simply download the file and burn it to a CD. But no icon is displayed for the file, just one of those broken icons, which means perhaps I did something wrong.

*Have yet to try the webtree file.

Any other recommendations -- specifically regarding how to properly burn the correct file to CD -- would be greatly appreciated.

#8 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

you have to burn the file as an image n ot as just data, what burning program do you use ??

ps the downoaded file is the same thing so you dont have to download the link i put up

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:27 PM

Try replacing the IDE/SATA Cable.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:20 AM

Download and install the freeware version of DeepBurner.

When you run the programme select "Burn ISO Image" then burn the ISO to a CD. Use that CD to boot your computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 vancouverock

vancouverock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:43 AM

Progress report:

*burned ISO to CD successfully using deepburner
*computer went into Windows Setup but hangs on "Setup is starting Windows". The CD stops spinning at this point.

Future actions?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:10 AM

Progress report:

*burned ISO to CD successfully using deepburner
*computer went into Windows Setup but hangs on "Setup is starting Windows". The CD stops spinning at this point.

Future actions?

Did you at least attempt my suggestion?

#13 vancouverock

vancouverock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:30 AM

I'm not confident enough to open up my laptop... I'm not sure what an IDE/SATA cable is.

Is that the best next step to take? Is there any other recovery process that I can attempt?

If I had my original Toshiba Windows XP CD would this all be easy? Or is that basically what the ISO file was?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:12 AM

I'm not confident enough to open up my laptop... I'm not sure what an IDE/SATA cable is.

Is that the best next step to take? Is there any other recovery process that I can attempt?

If I had my original Toshiba Windows XP CD would this all be easy? Or is that basically what the ISO file was?

If you have a lap top, then maybe your IDE/SATA Controller on your motherboard is failing. I would go have it checked out by a Tech.

#15 vancouverock

vancouverock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:29 AM

OK, will do.

But beforehand, are there any other solutions that I can try?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users