Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Wont Windows 98 Go Past The Start Up Screen?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bkbk6969

bkbk6969

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

So i installed flash player 9.whatever, and it says i have to restart my computer, so i do. It goes past the first screens and when it goes into the windows 98 screen with the moving bar at the bottom it just sits there, and it wont go any further. Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:25 PM

You could try starting in Safe Mode and uninstalling Flash Player 9? It may not be compatible with WIN98 or was a bad install, Mate. Try it and if it boots up correctly, try reinstalling Flash player 9 again? if the same thing happens install an earlier version.

edit spelling.

Edited by Abacus 7, 17 September 2008 - 11:26 PM.

#3 bkbk6969

bkbk6969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

i tried that and it wouldn't uninstall in safe mode

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

It will start in Safe Mode?

If so go into System then Device manager and see if there are any ! in yellow.

Edit changed ? to ! Been a while, WIN98 for me.

Edited by Abacus 7, 17 September 2008 - 11:50 PM.

#5 bkbk6969

bkbk6969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

not really an expert so can u give step by step instruction for the system/ device manager?

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:04 AM

Click Start, then Settings, then Control Panel, then System, then Device Manager.

Once in there click each + box to open up all sections and look for a Yellow ! sign, then Post back details of any found.

BTW some of the above first directions may differ on WIN98, remember it has been a while

#7 bkbk6969

bkbk6969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:10 AM

i just got this computer so i have nothing i need, so i am wondering if it would just be easier to format the computer or keep on treying this?

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:33 AM

:thumbsup:

One of the Secrets of WIN98SE was to always keep your Data in a safe place, either on another Partition or Slave HDD or even on CDs or DVDs away from your C: Drive (operating Drive) so a reinstall was never a real Drama.

Re Formate and reInstall was always a good idea every few months or in cases like this. But first you will need a Start up Disk for WIN98SE, it won't boot from the Disk. You can get a Start Up Disk from here that has CD support. http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm I suggest the WIN98SE OEM one. Download it onto a Floppy and insert it into your Machine then it wil give you the option of installing Drivers for your CD Rom. once install those Drivers take over the Drive that your CD is on making your CD one step higher, example, say it is now D: it becomes E: Once it starts in A: type in format C: note the space between Format and C: then press enter. After it finishes Formatting, type in E: assuming that is your new CD Drive, then press Enter. then in E: Type in WIN98SE, I assume that is what you are using? if it is WIN98 then just that, then press enter. When it comes up type in set up and press enter. When it finishes installing you will need to install Video sound Drivers to suit your particular Cards, so be sure you have them handy, if not wait till you have them before you start on it.

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

Hi :thumbsup: Can you give us a link to the site you used to get the download? Windows 98 and the SE version are not compatible with many programs and you will normaly have to do a good search to locate the right program version for you

MY concern is , you are now saying the computer will not boot into normal mode but WILL boot up in safe mode?

Do you see the Adobe listed in your Add/Remove programs list in Control Pannel?

May one also ask what protection programs are on board?

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

I dont know why you need bootup disk. My Windows 98 SE CD is bootable. The only Windows CD released by Microsoft, which was not bootable was Windows 95. Windows 3.1 came in floppies.

Also a shortcut to open DeviceManager:
Press [WindowsKey]+[Pause] and select Device Manager tab or button. It works for all Windows versions ;)

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

So i installed flash player 9.whatever, and it says i have to restart my computer, so i do. It goes past the first screens and when it goes into the windows 98 screen with the moving bar at the bottom it just sits there, and it wont go any further. Can anyone help me?

Well I use Flash Player 9.0.124.0 (IE) in my Win98SE without any problems.

i just got this computer so i have nothing i need, so i am wondering if it would just be easier to format the computer or keep on treying this?

Ok so you are new to this computer. If it will only startup in Safe Mode and you can't uninstall Adode Flash Player in Safe Mode then I would suggest you do a Scanreg /restore. How long ago did you installed Flash Player 9?

If you startup your computer and keep the Ctrl key press until you see the DOS menu. Select Command Prompt Only No5 then type in Scanreg /restore and enter. Then choose a date from the list before you installed Adobe Flash Player and restore and restart. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

I dont know why you need bootup disk. My Windows 98 SE CD is bootable. The only Windows CD released by Microsoft, which was not bootable was Windows 95. Windows 3.1 came in floppies.

Also a shortcut to open DeviceManager:
Press [WindowsKey]+[Pause] and select Device Manager tab or button. It works for all Windows versions ;)

Windows 98 Retail wasnt bootable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users