Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware doctor spyware it self?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Seth

Seth

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:24 PM

I installed it before and other programms from the same company. it installed this thing called power scanner, is this spyware doctor safe to use?
Posted Image
We come into this world in birth, and we die and rot into the earth.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

Assuming it is part of the Spyware Doctor application, it seems safe. I did a search on Google and found SD available at

http://www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor/300...4-10293212.html

where it was highly recommended by the staff there, and also had good user ratings. While ratings should be taken with a grain of salt (complainers will post more often than satisfied users, for example), they can provide additional confidence about using an application.

Quite frankly, the time to inform oneself about an application is before you download or install it. Whenever possible, check to see if it is available from a reputable source which contains user ratings (you will soon discover if it has spyware, is sluggish, or is buggy) and then download it from the original (company's) site (you will get the latest version, and also any other information by going there---FAQs, for example).
Try using the name of the application and the word "spyware" in the Google search box; this usually will indicate any potential problem with an application. In this case, you will find that spyware doctor should not be confused with spy doctor, an application that apparently DOES contain spyware.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 26 April 2005 - 09:24 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:48 PM

A good reference site to check out these types of applications is The Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites.

Its a huge page, so I like to use the Edit>Find on this page function in IE when checking out a program.

The Spyware Doctor website is here. I think it is a valid application you can trust.

Edited by Leurgy, 27 April 2005 - 07:10 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 freezerburn16

freezerburn16

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:06 PM

i have used spydoc for along time and i find that is works very good
i got it from download.com but i did not get ?power scanner?
FB :thumbsup:

Edited by freezerburn16, 26 April 2005 - 11:07 PM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Clawhammer)
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express 256MB DDR3
4Gb Kingston HyperX KHX3200/1G DDR400 PC3200 Memory
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra
Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition 120GB

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:24 AM

Are you saying that Spyware Doctor installed power scanner somehow? Is it a plug in of some kind?

How do you know that power scanner is installed?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Seth

Seth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

Hmm, i installed spyware doctor rebooted and it started up.
Posted Image

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

I'm going to have to eat a little crow on this one but I can't recommend Spyware Doctor. I just installed and uninstall it.

That is a version that doesn't clean anything and finds things that, although they are there, they are not remotely as serious as SD lets tells you. Then it wants you to buy it right away. My advice is to uninstall it. Thats one thing it seems to do well.

Are you looking for a good anti-spyware application or just checking out SD?

If you are looking for some good programs that are free have a look at Simple steps to keep your computer secure!. Its a good place to find some great programs that are very popular.

#8 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:11 PM

ive been using spyware doctor and dont seem to have any hidden extras, just use it for removing unwanted cookies on start up and blocking them

#9 freezerburn16

freezerburn16

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

seth did u use download.com????
cuz i downloaded nero 6.6 ultra and power scanner got installed with it
it could posibly be download.com that gave us power scanner???
i dk
FB
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Clawhammer)
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express 256MB DDR3
4Gb Kingston HyperX KHX3200/1G DDR400 PC3200 Memory
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra
Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition 120GB

#10 Seth

Seth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

yes i did download from there, :thumbsup: i still wouldnt touch spyware doctor with a 80ft poll
Posted Image

#11 deaddybear

deaddybear

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:58 AM

I'm going to have to eat a little crow on this one but I can't recommend Spyware Doctor. I just installed and uninstall it.

That is a version that doesn't clean anything and finds things that, although they are there, they are not remotely as serious as SD lets tells you. Then it wants you to buy it right away. My advice is to uninstall it. Thats one thing it seems to do well.

Are you looking for a good anti-spyware application or just checking out SD?

If you are looking for some good programs that are free have a look at Simple steps to keep your computer secure!. Its a good place to find some great programs that are very popular.

I am one of the idiots who bought Spyware Doctor - and I am in bliss - it's worth every penny. I am tired of whiners who say that Spyware Doctor is free as a scanner, but you have to pay to remove spyware. For the longest time I used SpyBot and AdAware. Still have them insalled, actually. Than I got spyware that was plain impossible to remove. I don't know what it was, but it created a folder xerox, with a small 'x'. Spybot could not get rid of it, AdAware could not get rid of it and neither could my antivirus. Spyware Doctor did and I am very happy I paid thirty bucks for it (well, I actually bought much cheaper, because I used Froogle - http://www.deprice.com/spywaredoctor.htm ).
You can bleep and moan all you want about paying for stuff. AdAware and SpyBot are AWESOME, but believe me, there will be a point when you know you got spyware, but these two won't be able to get rid of it. And you'll be lucky if your antivirus picks it up. If not, you'll be in a lot of pain. [Rant mode off].

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

Hello deaddybear and welcome to BC

Hey, whatever floats your boat. :thumbsup:

That is a version that doesn't clean anything and finds things that, although they are there, they are not remotely as serious as SD lets tells you.

I still stand by what I said about the scare mongering and the popups wanting you to buy it now. Thats about as close to "false positives used as a goad to purchase" (a qoute from spywarewarrior.com that does not apply to Spyware Doctor) as you can get without stepping over the line. I don't like the way they define their results and I don't like their sales tactics.

Spywarewarrior has Spyware Doctor in its "Not On the List" category. Those programs are described as follows:

Note that the above list is not another list of "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware applications. Still further, that I have not classified these applications as "rogue/suspect" should not be taken as an endorsement or recommendation of any kind. I always urge users to stick to the short list of anti-spyware applications that have proven tracken records for trustworthy performance.

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

Many free, proven programs are upgradable to paid versions with more features and I feel that is the way to go if you want a paid version. Further, this tactic makes those programs available to users who can't/won't/don't pay for software of this sort.

You can bleep and moan all you want about paying for stuff.

I don't think my post said anything along those lines.

As for xerox removal, I can't comment on that without seeing what was done and how. I can find precious little info on that threat beyond this and this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users