Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A little help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ahayes04

Ahayes04

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

Ok i have a friends computer and the Graphics card is bad and its onboard, so he wants me to remove the card but i dont know how to do everything yet and was wondering if the graphics are onboard how do i remove them? Also how do i replace it so that i can put a working one on because i think its like broken all the way because it runs but wont show anything on any monitors ive tried, all the monitors are good too because i use them on my computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:56 PM

The first step would be to check out what motherboard it is, and get some info on it. Sometimes, the onboard video may be shut down in the BIOS, other times there's a jumper on the motherboard, and sometimes, if you put in a new card, the motherboard will sense it and switch to it automatically. You also need to know what kind of card you can install - if it's AGP, you need to make sure it's the right voltage - some motherboards are fussy about that. Some motherboards don't even have an AGP slot. You need to know before you run out and buy something.

#3 Ahayes04

Ahayes04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:02 PM

I have looked all over and i could not find the type of mother board, i searched all over, flashlight, magnifying glass and all. It used to work the video card, and the power supply is the same, but everything starts up right, i can hear it and everything but maybe this could be a problem: Sometimes when its on the little LED light that shows if its on or not is red instead of green, i thought it could be by a backwards cable or something but i double checked them and it doesnt seem to be that. About the jumper and such i tried to reset it with the Battery thing and i tried every single thing that could possibly be the jumper and i followed the directions to "short" them and still to no avail. I think it is some cheap maybe generic brand motherboard but who knows

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

My Dell GX1 atuomaticly disables the onboad video when you install a video card. What brand of computer do you have? Sometimes the motherboard is display as the computer boots. Use the pause key in the upper right side of the keyboard to freeze the screen.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:11 PM

try a different monitor- if still nothing, then read on:

99% of motherboards will automatically display from whatever graphics adapter(video card) the monitor is plugged into. you cannot remove the onboard graphics adapter.

if you can hear the POST beep and everything 'sounds' normal, then unplug, slap another card in there and plug the monitor into it. the white slots are PCI and if there is a brown slot at the top, that is an AGP slot. use whatever video adapter is needed.

if it still doesn't display, you are leadpiped- the motherboard is no good. that's about all the answers there are to this dilemma. fixing the display may not fix any other problems this board has...

Edited by caterbro, 26 April 2005 - 09:12 PM.

Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users