Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Does This Pop Up Every Time I Log In?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Idontlikecows

Idontlikecows

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

Every time I log in on any of the files on my computer, a box pops up and says to re-subscribe to CA antivirus even though i don't have and never had any CA products. The CA thing is driving me crazy, and I really want to get rid of it ASAP.
Someone please help me.. :thumbsup:
( I did 2 smart system scans with the yahoo scan and Ad-aware 2008 and 2 full system scans, none of them found anything )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

Two things come to mind:

1) Did your computer come preinstalled with CA or have the file you run in order to install?
I know, it makes no sense to have the popup unless the program has actually been installed, but where computers are concerned, weird and strange things can happen.

2) An infection of some sort. Even though you have scanned and found nothing, it's still a possibility.

I will inform the moderators of this topic, one of them can review it and decide if it should be moved to the Am I Infected forum.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

Is there anything that says CA anti-virus or Etrust in Add/Remove Programs?
The one way to do it is editing the registry.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=175239

I must warn you that if you intend to do this, please backup the registry, first
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Idontlikecows

Idontlikecows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

Alright, thanks, and I do not believe the computer came with CA, and I didn't install it either.
LOL i put my first post in the wrong category :thumbsup:

Edited by Idontlikecows, 17 September 2008 - 07:57 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

As of now, the category is fine.
You made no mention of a virus. If the moderators thought the post belonged in Am I Infected, one of them would have already moved it.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

Please take a look at this before you edit the registry

A simple approach to backing up the registry (XP)
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users