Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Wont Install On Vista?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

Ive just installed vista ultimate on my pc and i cant get my printer recognised by it. Ive tried running the install disc, tried new drivers especially for vista, restarts, changing the lead to a known working usb and still it wont pick it up. The software installs partly, it gives a message saying to plug in the usb and turn on the printer which i do but it never goes any further. In control panel its showing the printer as the default one. When i plug the usb in i get no message from vista saying about detecting a new device etc. Its a Brother DCP-135C printer. Thanks foir any help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

Try going into control panel deleting your exsisting printer and then try to install the new printer. Is this printer being directly connected to the computer or through a USB hub? Try plugging the printer directly into the computer. I know the HUB may work with other peripherals but it may not like the printer. Some web cams are this way too.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:50 AM

Its connected directly to the computer already. I tried changed which port it was in for the usb mouse one and it still made no difference so im guessing its not the actual usb in the computer. When i looked in device manager, i unplugged the printer to see if it made any difference in there and when i plugged it back in it updated the drivers but still shows as a problem. Ive reinstalled it loads of different ways now, took about 2 hours altogether and im still no further along.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

I ran across this, you might give it a try.

. open up Vista Add Printer Wizard
. add a Local Printer
. create a new port -> local port -> port name = (only an example)
\\system_name\whatever u want to call it

NOTE the DOUBLE slash before the system name!

if the path and name (system name) exists, you will get to add driver (from ur database list)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=114398

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:35 AM

Managed to finally sort it. I unplugged the usb, deleted all the printers (again) then restarted computer. Plugged in the cable and it found it and installed on its own. I clicked on print document and it had a diiferent printer as default (windows own setup i think) and it printed. I then changed default to my printer and it now works fine. It must be something to do with Vista working itself out after a new install. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users