Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Change User Name Completely

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 longtex

longtex

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

I've seen this several times now: an employee gets a computer, and has his or her name installed as the user, for example, Sarah. She logs in as Sarah, and her files are in \Documents and Settings\Sarah\ and so on. Sarah leaves and Joyce is hired. The name on the login is changed from Sarah to Joyce, which is all well and good, but the account name in the directory is still Sarah.

I'm sure there's a good way to do this, but I haven't come across it yet... probably I'm looking in the wrong places, but...

Anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

You can't change it.

The Documents & Settings folder, and the folders under it, are fixed at install time and can't be moved or renamed. It is possible to work around this with a little clever hacking (Microsoft has an article on how to do this), but in many cases it's not the wisest idea. If you install a program that expects these folders to be in their default locations and they're not, the program may not work correctly. (This is actually the fault of the program for assuming where things are instead of reading the proper pathnames from the registry, but you can never really tell when you're going to run into a badly-written program!)

(Taken from HERE)

The solution is to create a user account for Jane, then move everything from Sarah's files to Janes.
Then delete Sarah's account.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 September 2008 - 02:51 PM.

#3 longtex

longtex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

You can't change it.
...<snipped>
The solution is to create a user account for Jane, then move everything from Sarah's files to Janes.
Then delete Sarah's account.

I haven't tried this in a while, but I'm fairly certain the last time I did, it wouldn't let me delete "Sarah"... but I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Thanks!

#4 rickx

rickx

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

yes i dont think it can be renamed because my USER NAME was originally Home then i changed it to Rick
but it still shows up as Home.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

Did you try to delete the account from User Accounts in Control Panel?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

Start -> run -> control userpasswords2

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

Start -> run -> control userpasswords2

That is for configuring Windows XP to automatically logon to a selected account.

I did some more searching, and found something.
I came across this link in the Microsoft forums. It involves editing the registry.
Be sure to carefully read the Important Note.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/userpath.htm

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 September 2008 - 05:15 PM.

#8 longtex

longtex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

I did some more searching, and found something.
I came across this link in the Microsoft forums. It involves editing the registry.
Be sure to carefully read the Important Note.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/userpath.htm

I had a nasty suspicion this was going to wind up with a regedit... wot a pita!

I'll try this and see wha' hoppen... and let everyone know.

But it's going to be a while before I get to it - I'm fixin' to go paint kitchen so my contractor can come in Sat AM and put up new trim and move the gas lines, and then I'm driving to Austin tomorrow - 6 to 7 hours non-stop (guys don't have to stop except for gas & food, 'cause we can pee in bottles, and my Suburban gets 22MPG and the 40-gallon tank gets me almost 900 miles between fillups, and I carry a cooler full of sandwiches and beverages...) and working next 3 days with Austin Fire Department people, then back on Tuesday... so not much time for fiddling with non-critical (to me) but annoying (to them) computer user issues.

At least the first user name I need to change FROM really is "Sarah" and not something awful like "Owner" or "Home" which would probably turn up LOTS of false hits when "find"-ing your way through the registry...

I will read when I can the next few days, and if I come across any more info, I'll post it back.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users