Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A New Computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DeathStone

DeathStone

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hey I'm building a new computer, this is my first time doing so I was looking for some advice on it. Im pretty set on everything I want to get for it, and I dont think im missing anything, but here it is.

Case

Video Card

Hard Drive

Motherboard/Processor

Cpu Cooling Fan

RAM

Power Supply

Ahead of time to anyone who posts, thank you! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:13 PM

You may want to price that motherboard CPU bundle separately at places like Newegg, www.pricewatch.com, bizrate.com.

Unless you don't really care about how much money you spend :thumbsup:.

I like/use TD and Newegg for most of my purchases...but it sometimes helps to check other sources.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2008 - 06:00 PM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

Minor stuff really.

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX instead of that power supply. Cheaper as well, might not be as pretty.

640gig WD HD vs your present choice. If you are going SLI, then your current MOBO is great. If you aren't going SLI then I would highly suggest an Intel chipset vs NVidia.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DeathStone

DeathStone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

If you are going SLI, then your current MOBO is great. If you aren't going SLI then I would highly suggest an Intel chipset vs NVidia.

Sorry I'm a little new to all this, what do you mean by this?

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

Sorry I'm a little new to all this, what do you mean by this?

Well, the board you picked is set up for triple SLI. This means you can run up to 3 video cards in it in SLI mode to boost your frame rates. Intel chipsets don't do SLI (yet), but they do Crossfire (the ATI equivilent of SLI). My point was that if you have no intention of running your NVidia card in SLI, then that particular board/chipset is doing nothing but costing you extra money for no return. I am not a big fan of NVidia chipsets for Socket 775. They just do not have the stability of the Intel offerings (P35, P45, X38, X48).

In the future if you have cash burning a hole in your pocket and you want to SLI another GTX280 in your system, an NVidia based chipset is your only option.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

If you are not going to run SLI, you don't need that feature on a motherboard. I suggest getting the Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX motherboard and the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400. That motherboard is more stable than the motherboard you selected and the processor is of the newer 45nm design. The motherboard I selected uses Crossfire not SLI, so I suggest getting an ATI video card. That way you can use Crossfire in the future should you want to. The 4870 X2 is ATI's top-of-the-line graphics card. It is essentially two 4870 graphics processors on one card (hence the X2). If you want a less expensive ATI card, the 4870 will do the trick. Both the X2 and the 4870 allow you to combine two or more cards in Crossfire.

3939.png

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

If you are not going to run SLI, you don't need that feature on a motherboard. I suggest getting the Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX motherboard and the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400. That motherboard is more stable than the motherboard you selected and the processor is of the newer 45nm design. .

Why oh why would you suggest that mobo? I don't think it even supports 1333FSB procs and likely the BIOS won't even recognize newer 45nm chips. That chipset is ancient history. Kudos on the 4870X2/4870 suggestion though.

P45 for a single video card, X38/X48 if you want full speed Crossfire support.

#8 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:47 PM

Well you are obviously looking for some serious gaming, if you dont mind, let me make a few suggestions that could save you money.

First, the motherboard and processor are sick, very nice and good price for the both, however if your not going to be using that triple SLI, dont get that board, you can find boards that match that board in performance for half the price.

Second, the Quad core, a very nice NEW processor, eventhough it has been around for a bit, it is still new, and I can tell you this much about it, you wont need it for a while. The quad core is an extreme processor, no game out today utilizes that core's true potential. However there is supposed to be a game coming out within a year that may be able to, doubt it though. But if your looking into the future, it is a good way to go, just remember it is new, the duals have been around longer and therefore are more stable.

Third, the graphics card.... well.... if you have the money for it, its top notch, a damn nice card, but if you want to save some money and still have the performance (mind you FPS rate arent as good but the 280 is also a top of the line GPU) go with the 8800 series, or even the new 9000 series, however the 9000 series I know for a fact are enormous, so make sure that you have the room... i built a computer with the antec nine case, but taht case looks bigger so i dont see that being an issue. But the 8800 GT superclocked eiditin is a very nice card, and I do believe they have 1gb cards as well.

Fourth, the hard drive, if you are looking for serious gaming, I would crank that hard drive RPM to 10,000. A 400 GB should be enough, but keep in mind games like Crysis, stalker, age of conan, and such are HUGE and they can take up space, I might even go with a 500 gig, or if your crazy get a terabyte (1,000 GB).

Fifth, if you want to utilize that machine, your going to want directX 10 (10.1 whatever you want). There is a Windows XP crack, but it is not the best, alot of games dont work wiht it, alot of compatibility issues. So that leaves the option of VISTA. With 4 gigs of ram Vista home premium (32-bit) would work just fine, but if you want to experience directx 10 and HD to its max, Vista X64 Ultimate is what you want (64-bit). Keep in mind resources are at stack, more ram is better and at 75 dollars for 4 gigs...get 8. X64 ultimate can see up to 128 gigs of ram ( something ridiculous like that).

The power supply (1000 watts and 70 amps to the 12 volt holt CRAP!) and CPU heatsink look prtty good, I may keep looking for a better heatsink though, your going to need it if you want to game at the best.

Here is my computer right now (budget machine that plays crysis on high, not very high though)
::
Motherboard - MSI P43 NEO3 - 1333 FSB 1600 FSB overclocked - $103

CPU - Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo Wolfdale - (AMAZING) stock 3.0GHZ overclocked it to 3.6GHz both cores run at 33 degrees celcius!! it can go OVER 4.0GHz - $170

Memory - 3 Gigs of Corsair DDR2 800MHz (windows XP can only see 3.2 or 3.6 gigs i cant remember) - $90

Video Card - ATI Radeon HD 3650 512mb DDR2 - very satisfied, plays crysis on high no lag - $60

Hard drive - Maxtor SATA 500 GB 7200 RPM - alot of space, and its fast. - $75

Power Supply - Corsair VX450W 450 watts, 33 amps to the 12 volt rail! - $70

Case - Old NZXT Nemesis from about 5 years ago lol, but it does the job.

Monitor - KDS 22" widescreen LCD - $200

$768 for all of that (not including the case) and im running Crysis on high in windows XP pro, soon to get a new gpu and 8 gigs of ram and vista though ;-)
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#9 DeathStone

DeathStone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

I play games like world of warcraft, i mean i guess i dont need a top of line game, but that Crysis game looks flippen AWESOME! lol, ive never seen a game with so much detail. I want a pc that will last me into the future though, i run a pc that about 8 years old right now. 1.5g ram 40gig hard drive, and a pretty cheap video card. this thing has got me by pretty far but its really time to upgrade. i want something that might last me another 5 years, if i get into gameing more extreme.

Edited by DeathStone, 18 September 2008 - 08:12 AM.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

Here's another mobo based off an Intel chipset: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48. The previous mobo is old and not designed for more intensive tasks. If you want a PC that will last five years or more, get the best you can now. Get as much RAM as you can now, the Asus Rampage Formula can use 8 GB. With that much memory you will need a 64-bit OS. Get a top-of-the-line GPU such as the 4870 X2. I'm not that impressed with Crysis, sure it looks nice, but other than that it is a generic FPS.

3939.png

#11 DeathStone

DeathStone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:13 AM

So if I went with the SLI does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of video cards that i could get that would give me the same kinds of graphics if not better then what i have, within the same price range.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

Two GTX 260 cards would be nice, two 9800 GTX cards would do well too.

3939.png

#13 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

if you want to go with the sme price range than the two gtx 260, but if you want 2 cards for the same price as the one, the new 9000 series is nice, like DJBPace07 said the 9800 is very nice and at good asking price, if you want something alittle cheaper but will deliver, the 8800 will.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users