Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop Webcam Microphone Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lizziemac

lizziemac

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:40 PM

My son has a Dell Inspiron 1725 laptop. He's had it for a year and has only just discovered that it has a built in webcam! He's tried talking to several friends via the webcam and though he can see and hear them, they can only see him. I also have an Inspiron 1525 and it's the same when I try to have a video conversation with him. I can see but not hear him. He can see and hear me. His microphone isn't muted. On the Audio Source Control screen, although the volume slider is at the highest volume, there is to evidence that the microphone is picking up any sound. On mine, which is the same system, it shows both bars flickering green. His OS is Vista.

I hope this is a clear enough description of the problem. I'd be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this.

Thanks

Lizzie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

Are there any drivers installed for that function?

What does Device Manager reflect?

Louis

#3 lizziemac

lizziemac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:56 PM

I'll check that out and post about it later Louis, as his laptop isn't in my house. Thanks for your reply. The laptop is less than a year old so you'd expect the driver to be up to date wouldn't you?

Lizzie

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

Well...some persons don't install all drivers initially...some users don't even know they are supposed to install drivers, etc.

It only takes a sec to check Device Manager :thumbsup:. Any marking (red/yellow) are indications needing some attention.

Louis

#5 lizziemac

lizziemac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

Well...some persons don't install all drivers initially...some users don't even know they are supposed to install drivers, etc.

Louis

I'm one of those persons Louis, and so is my son :flowers: :thumbsup: . I hope that's all that wrong. I'll let you know.

Lizzie

#6 lizziemac

lizziemac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:35 AM

Hi Louis

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, but I've only just got access to my so n's laptop today. I downloaded a driver and the microphone is now working perfectly. Thanks very much for your help.

Lizzie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users