Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Genuine Or Non-genuine Windows Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard46

Bernard46

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

A friend of mine has a Windows XP Home Edition machine running Service Pack 2. She called me along this afternoon because she has been having problems with the machine for several weeks! Anyway this machine runs Norton Internet Security Center which was up to date as of a few weeks ago, but because of her problem it no longer seems able to complete its update process although she has 322 days left of her subscription. I tried several times but each time the update process terminated after doing some of the downloads. There is also an icon in her system tray area (right hand side) which refers to the non-genuine windows message and tells her to clickon it to resolve the non-genuine Windows problem.

The problem she has is that on boot up she gets a message saying that her version of Windows is not genuine (it is since it was supplied with the machine 4 years ago) and what is more it talks about Windows XP Professional whereas she has Windows XP Home. In addition to these messages which give her the option to resolve the problem now or later, she gets pop-ups at various times saying that her copy of Windows is not genuine, maybe counterfeit etc.

In addition when these problems started to occur she says she was no longer able to connect to the internet (she has a router and broadband) - I noticed that her connection was disabled so I re-enabled this and we can now connect to the Internet.

She also has problems with IE (think it is V8) whereby it comes up with an error after a short while and wants to close down, whereupon it restarts and runs for a short while before crashing again. I installed Firefox on her system and this appears to run fine.

She cannot log on to her email which is an MSN.COM account (she gets an error message saying her userid/password is invalid) - I tried to log on to my HOTMAIL.COM accouint from both IE and Firefox and got a similar message, although I know both userid and password are valid because I have used them since on another machine.

Initially when I tried her machine IE would hog the machine virtually 100% and the task manager performance graph would flat line at 100% for as long as I watched it. Subsequently it does not always seem to do this.

She also complains that sometimes she has great difficulty in getting some application windows to close - she can click on the cross in the top right hand corner of the Window but the application does not go away. I observed this problem with the Norton Internet Security Window (the cross was in a grey box not the normal orange one and it was inoperative) - selecting the Norton application in Task manager / Applications and clicking on 'end task' did cancel the window and terminate the application.

I think that is about all the general information I can give right now - does anyone have any clues about how I should start to eliminate her problem please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

Welcome to Bleeping

Once something has gotten by Norton's it's even harder to remove it, as Norton's is always running and interfering.

For now let's start with a scan with MBAM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=946998

After installing and updating MBAM you might disable norton's after disconnecting from the internet

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/114351/how-to-temporarily-disable-your-anti-virus-firewall-and-anti-malware-programs/

Remember to enable it before reconnecting, it's possible it's actually doing some good, if she hadn't paid for a subscription I would suggest a better software
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Bernard46

Bernard46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

OK, many thanks, I'll give your suggestions a go - it may take me a day or two to get to her place again when she's in but I'll get back asap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users