Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Problem, Help Needed...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wheeze87

wheeze87

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:44 AM

Hello, i'm desperately looking for help with my problem, I've been looking all over the internet, but can't find anything, It feels like this is my last resort! anyway. so i bought a new pre built machine very recently, and I have had it set up for about a week now.

Specs
Asus P5KC motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q660 2.4GHZ
2GB Ram Ballistix
1GB Ram HP
Gigabyte 9600 GT 512mb PCI Graphics card
111GB MAXTOR HDD

It came with two hard drives installed, but i took on of them out, to leave me with just one (simpler IMO)!

Anyway, I installed windows XP SP2 with no problems, and since i've had it i've been installing programs, and steam.
I've downloaded a few games with steam, and have been playing through HL2 and more recently Team Fortress 2. Anyway today, I was chatting with my friend on Windows Live, and then i closed that, and started up Team Fortress 2. However when the program started I could hear all the music that you hear at the menu, but the screen was black!!!

I waited and waited, but nothing happened, so the only thing i could do was reboot. SO i reboot, and the BIOS splash loads up, and then the windows xp boot screen, and then when it should show log in screen, the screen flickers and goes black. And thats it, the hard drive whirrs for a bit, but Theres nothing i can do from there. BLACK SCREEN

I can boot safe mode with and without networking, and I even did a system restore from safe mode, but that didnt work.

I assume it is a video card problem, as it is a game that seems to have caused this problem.

Sorry to burden you with such a long winded story, but I;ve been scouring then internet for days now, and cannot find a problem similar. Thanks for all your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

I would suggest updating to SP3, and making sure your DirectX is fully updated to all available point releases.

Also make sure that your video card drivers are fully updated: http://www.nvidia.com

Edited by cryptodan, 17 September 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#3 wheeze87

wheeze87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:41 PM

OKay, I'll try that, i can do this all from safe mode i presume?
Last time i checked the nvidia drivers were up to date, as its a relatively new card. But i will double check...

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

I bought a new pre built machine very recently, and I have had it set up for about a week now.

Was this built by a friend or a company that should have some type of warranty for the stuff they build?

Edited by garmanma, 17 September 2008 - 12:45 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 wheeze87

wheeze87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

Well, I bought it as a private sale on ebay, so not really a friend, but not a company either but the motherboard has a warranty.
Im in safe mode now, and My current directX version : DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Is that up to date?

Edited by wheeze87, 17 September 2008 - 12:50 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

Well, I bought it as a private sale on ebay, so not really a friend, but not a company either but the motherboard has a warranty.
Im in safe mode now, and My current directX version : DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Is that up to date?

There is an august 8th update. When you got this computer, did you get any cd's with it.

#7 wheeze87

wheeze87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

Yes I got the Asus CD for the motherboard, and the cd for the graphics card. I got my own XP cd seperately..

HOw do i go about updating the directX? I updated the nvidia drivers, and that hasnt worked, so im back in safe mode :thumbsup:

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

You may need to do a system repair to get back into regular mode.

#9 wheeze87

wheeze87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

Okay, I tried to do a system repair, by putting the xp cd in, and booting from that, and doing an xp "repair install" however, i STILL get the same problem. Would it be worth completely wiping the hard drive and re installing windows? Maybe my brand new graphics card is faulty? Everthing seems fine when booting into safe mode.

Can anyone recomend a good program to back up all my data? I have a spare hard drive which i could back up all my docs/games etc... but i would have to do it from safe mode...

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

Okay, I tried to do a system repair, by putting the xp cd in, and booting from that, and doing an xp "repair install" however, i STILL get the same problem. Would it be worth completely wiping the hard drive and re installing windows? Maybe my brand new graphics card is faulty? Everthing seems fine when booting into safe mode.

Can anyone recomend a good program to back up all my data? I have a spare hard drive which i could back up all my docs/games etc... but i would have to do it from safe mode...

Just copy the stuff via safe mode. Then just wipe it and reinstall.

#11 wheeze87

wheeze87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:58 PM

Just copy the stuff via safe mode. Then just wipe it and reinstall.

Okay ill let you know how it goes....

#12 wheeze87

wheeze87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

Okay, i'm feeling a little bit embarrased now....

When i reported this problem to you guys, i was using a cheap flat screen TFT monitor. I hav'nt done a complete windows re install yet. And today I dug out on old Dell CRT monitor, and plugged it in and it booted up with no problem whatsoever! Its absolutley fine.

So i'm asking myself, what the heck happened here? The flat screen monior works fine on my other machine. But when i plug it into this one, I just dont see anything.

Anyone any idea what might have caused this?

Thanks any way

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

I would check to see if your resolution and refresh rate are compatible with the flat screen. Also if you reformatted and reinstalled, you might need to update the video driver
You also might try going into the BIOS and restore default settings
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users