Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying A New Computer - Hp Athlon 64x2 Dual-core 5200+

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SLR

SLR

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:28 AM

I am buying a new computer and thinking of buying this one
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...=&langid=EN

Will I be able to play games on it. I know the graphics card is not good enough and I am going to have to upgrade it. But out of the box what games will I be able to play, half life 2 episode 2, fear, far cry maybe even crysis?

And are there any areas if concern in the specifications. I know its refurbished, but the price is about what I can afford right now, and maybe i will purchase a protection plan.
If this is not the place to post can the moderator please move it.

Thanks for any advice, I am not an expert on computers just avg on computer knowledge. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

It seems pretty solid. If you throw in a good graphics card, you should be able to play most games.

I noticed it says under specifications: Available PCI-E Slots Not Provided By Manufacturer . You need PCIE slots to put a new graphics card in. I'm not exactly sure if that means it doesn't have a PCIE slot, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

EDIT: I also noticed it says it only has a 160-Watt power supply. You'll need to get a new one if you plan on putting a new graphics card in.

Edited by Sterling14, 17 September 2008 - 02:39 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 SLR

SLR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:29 PM

Yeah I noticed that and i do want to upgrade the graphics card, hp slimline is one of those small hp computers and I read that they are a nightmare to upgrade. so I am thinking about going for this one instead, http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...amp;catid=20217

How are Phenom x3 processors ( processor speed becomes 2.1 x 3 = 6.3 right ?). Read somewhere that they are not reliable or something

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:17 PM

Well, a dual-core AMD processor at 2.8ghz is a little faster than the 2.1ghz tri-core processor while gaming or running other applications. The thing is, if you're doing a few things at once, the tri-core should run smoother than the dual-core. Also, the tri-core is more future proof because applications are currently, and more in the future, will support multi-threading which let's each core process the same application. Most applications and games currently only let one core of the processor work on it at a time, but one core of the tri-core AMD should run games pretty well.

So hopefully I didn't confuse you too much, but a tri-core should serve you well enough, especially if you're on a budget.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users