Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to transfer Temporary Internet Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dreni

dreni

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:00 PM

Hi guys

I am new in this website and I read some of the topics. I don't know if I am in the right place to make my question, but I hope someone will be able to help me out.
I need help in transfering files to the temporary internet folder.
I have transferred the cookies to the Cookies folder now I need to transfer the file that I saved earlier to the Temporary Internet Folder because I can't paste any file in there. I need to do this so I can automatically login in a website that I had the password stored earlier but now I cant because it seems that the temporary files had been deleted and I couldn't sign in again. I tried to restore the PC to all the restoration points so the files would be restored but that didnt help either. Then I recovered the cookies and the rest of the files through Recover my files software and now I need to transfer them to their corresponding folders. Someone please help me and tell me if that is possible and how to do it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:51 PM

Hi dreni and welcome to BC

You really don't need the Temporary Internet Files to automatically log into a website. That function is handled by a cookie that stores your user name and password.

I use the cookie saver function in CCleaner to keep those cookies that log me in to websites protected. Then, when I periodically run CCleaner to clean up the junk on my machine these cookies are left alone. If you want to try CCleaner, open the program and go to the Options button. All your cookies will be displayed in the cookies to delete window. Just click on a cookie and use the arrow to move your "good" cookie to the cookies to keep window.

Another good little tool to do the same job is Jason's Cookie Jar from Jason's toolbox. It can be set to save your good cookies and to delete the rest on each startup.

Your operating system determines where your cookies are stored. If you just log in to those websites you want to automatically log into you will create a new cookie so you really don't need to recover your old cookies.

What is your operating system?

Edited by Leurgy, 26 April 2005 - 05:52 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 dreni

dreni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:11 PM

Hi back

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I think I understood your reply I just am not sure if I got the correct answer. I had stored my password to a website and I automatically logged in there through a shortcut from my desktop. And 2 days ago when I tried to do it I couldn't login, it seems that the cookies and the temporary files had been deleted. I restored my PC (WIN XP) to all the restoration points I had in the System Restore, cause I thought the files would come back but it didn't help, I couldn't login there. I recovered the cookies and a file which seems to be the main file that was used to automatically log me in. I don't know what type of file it is but it is around 135 KB. I placed the cookies that I recovered to the Cookies folder now I think I need to place this 135 KB file to a folder but I don't know which one :thumbsup:. I think it might be temporary internet files but files can't be pasted in there. So that's the thing, I hope I was clear now, if you need any other information I will make sure to bring it to you.. I hope you can suggest me something on how I can place those files in their corresponding places.

Thanks, Dreni

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

I don't know what type of file it is but it is around 135 KB. I placed the cookies that I recovered to the Cookies folder now I think I need to place this 135 KB file to a folder but I don't know which one

That file won't help you. What is the full name of that file?

If you go to the website you can just log in with your user name and password and the website will put another cookie on your computer. Recovery software isn't very good sometimes and your recovered file may be damaged.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 dreni

dreni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:46 AM

Hi back,

The name of the file is: member;jsessionid=4KDTBZ52BHY35QFIGY4YAUQ[1]. I know I can do the way you suggested me, but at the moment that is impossible :thumbsup:. So if there's a way to get that back it'd be great. The cookies had never been deleted because when I pasted them where in the cookies folder I got the dialog box asking if I should replace them because they already existed there. I suspect it's something to do with temporary files...

Thanks

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:17 AM

The cookie is what's going to automatically log you in.
Temporary internet files has nothing to do with that.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:54 PM

If you forgot the password contact the website, If you don't know the password I don't feel I want to help you any further.

The Acceptable Use Policy here is such that we don't help people defeat passwords.

#8 dreni

dreni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:27 PM

Hi there,

I can assure that I well had the password, it's my brother's account but for personal reasons I had to do this, so there is nothing illegitimate there, anyway thank you for your help :thumbsup:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users