Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus 2008

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jkzn

jkzn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:21 AM

Two of our computers became infected with Antivirus 2008. We had no problem loading Spy Sweeper in one and getting the computer back to normal, the other one, however; is still giving us headaches. The system is not allowing us to access anything online, through a search or by keying the website in directly, that refers to Antivirus 2008 in any way. After running a sweep on the computer, it appeared that it was found and removed. Unfortunately that was not the case. Although we no longer have the billboard announcement of spyware being on our computer... it still prevents accessing any information online about Antivirus 2008 and internet access on the whole is sporadic. Help?!?!???? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snapgiggle

snapgiggle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

JKZN -

There are many ways to remove XP Antivirus, both manually and through programs. After being infected with this myself, I had the exact same problem as you....XP Antivirus was blocking my access to any and all websites that mentioned anything about XP Antivirus 2008.

What you need to do is download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.28 from here
Save it to your PC and then install. At the beginning of the install, make sure you have 'Launch Program' and 'Update Program' boxes ticked. Once installed, perform a 'quick scan' and then follow the directions. If the program asks you to restart your computer, then please do so.

If XP Antivirus blocks access to the page I linked above, then go to an unaffected computer, download the program, and then burn it to a cd and install manually on the infected pc.

This was the easiest way I found for removal and it completely removed all traces of XP Antivirus. After my PC was disinfected, I couldn't believe the performance gains I got back....XP Antivirus is the worst of the worst.

*Edited to include that preliminary use of this program is free...as I used it last night to disinfect my machine. As it is 'shareware' I'm not sure when it 'locks' and starts prompting you to buy it, but it won't cost you anything if you want to use it to remove XP Antivirus.

Edited by snapgiggle, 17 September 2008 - 10:12 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,908 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Instructions (with screenshots)
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 jkzn

jkzn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

Thanks so much!
Gonna work on tonight, wish me luck! :thumbsup:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,908 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

You're welcome and good luck.

#6 jkzn

jkzn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

It didn't work. :thumbsup:

I was able to get the file burned to a disc successfully, when I took it to the upstairs computer and tried to run, I first got the error: "windows is searching for mbam.exe, to locate the file yourself click browse". When I did browse, the file was no where to be found. Then the following error came up: "the drive or network connection that the shortcut 'malwarebytes anti-malware.ink' refers to is unavailable. make sure the disk is properly inserted or the resource is available and try again".

I know the program was loaded to the disc, but I'm not able to locate it or run it on that computer no matter what I do.
Help??? :flowers:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,908 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

Try downloading the setup file to a usb stick instead, transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program. If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive so it will install on the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users