Jump to content
Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:00 AM
Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:47 AM
Combofix by sUBs was never intended to be used in the way that that software such as SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes Antimalware is done. There are several excellent reasons for this Disclaimer shown when you start the program:
Some that I have observed:
• About 1 in 100 times the computer will not longer be able to boot after running Combofix. This requires experienced hands to restore the system to bootability.
• There are several malware infections that "target" Combofix. Experienced Helpers are aware of these infections, and take steps to remove them prior to the use of Combofix. If you do not, various things can happen depending on the infection -- from Combofix being unable to run, to the deletion of the folder C:\Windows\System32, requiring a clean install to repair.
• Combofix makes some rather significant changes to the internals of XP and Vista in order to work. It has to be removed with special instructions to fully and safely revert these changes. Experienced Helpers are aware of how to accomplish the uninstallation of Combofix.
• The real power of Combofix comes not as a general purposed malware remover. It is rather modest in that capacity. Combofix is powerful because it provides to the experienced Helper a convenient and powerful front-end to Scripts. It is because of its scripting strengths, and its unique reporting capabilities, that you see Combofix often recommended. But not because of its abilities as a general malware scanner.
• Many malware removal experts will not respond to a request for help if they see that Combofix was run by the end-user without supervision. You might find after running Combofix that your system problems are worse, and nobody is willing to help you.
There are several general purpose anti-malware utilities where the Author(s) intended the application for general use by end-users without Supervision. Combofix is not one of them, and you would be advised to honor that position taken by its Author.
MS-MVP 2004 - -2008, ASAP Member
When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix logs. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored.
fake windows security alerts
Edited by DaChew, 17 September 2008 - 07:49 AM.
Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:59 AM
Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:27 AM
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users