Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registering XP?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:50 PM

Hi,

A quicky or not so quicky. I recently reinstalled XP and when I was registering at the reinstall time I was following instructions that said to register as "Temp". Now I did that and now I'm stuck with the PC registered as "Temp". I have to continually change the "Temp" to my name when registering new programs and the like. Is there a way to change this on my PC without totally reinstalling XP just to change the registered name from "Temp" to mine? Thanks.

John :thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:37 AM

Hi. Please download and install the program Registry Lite from here:

http://www.resplendence.com/reglite

Once it is installed, please double click on the icon that should now be on your desktop. If an icon is not there, then check under programs portion of the Start Menu.

Once it is opened, copy and paste the below line, into the address field of Registrar Lite.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\\RegisteredOwner

And press enter. You will now be presented with new information in the bottom right and left sections and on the right section.

Scroll down to registered owner and change the data there by double-clicking on it

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:12 AM

Hi Grinler,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did what you suggested and it was easier then I thought with that tool. Should be all straightened out and registered under my name instead of "Temp". Thanks.
Oh by the way, would this tool work for getting the Startup and Shutdown jingles back? I did everything I can at Sounds and Audio Devices to reactivated those sounds but no luck. They are there and work but will not listen to reason and let themselves be reactivated. Can this tool help with that? I like those jingles and would like to have them back for Startup and Shutdown. Thanks.

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 27 April 2005 - 02:14 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

I would only use registrar lite when you know what you are doing. Tampering with the registry can cause major problems in the system.

What is happening in the sound control panel that makes it so you cant set them back to the sounds you want?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:21 PM

Grinler,
Here's his other thread discussing his problem.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16912&st=0&#entry101794
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users