Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install Xp Home Onto New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

compaq presario 5000, model 5BW220, made 7/19/00. i installed a new hard drive on my computer because i think there's something wrong with the original. i have a new xp home oem installation cd that i want to install onto the new hard drive. the cd won't install xp home onto the drive. i only get a screen saying something like: "no operating system found, please press any key to try again". i think that i need to boot from the dvd drive that the xp home cd is in in order to install xp home onto the new hard drive, but when i go into bios the only two options to select to boot from are the A floppy drive and the C hard drive but no option for the dvd drive. how do i select to boot from the dvd drive if indeed that's what i need to do? also, if i am able to install xp home what are the next steps to take to get my computer running. my understanding of computers is pretty rudimentary. thanks for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:29 AM

Go into boot options in bios and make sure cd Rom is before hard drive in the sequence
Posted Image

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:31 AM

G'day Mate

:thumbsup:

#4 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:31 AM

So what I mean is Tap F1 or F2 Sandard pc's Is the DLT key. Go into boot options then select First Floppy Then CD-Rom Then Hard disk. This should solve your problem.

Oh when you get into the bios Hold Cntr+F1 that might unlock features to allow CD rom boot

Edited by Goldwyn, 17 September 2008 - 01:34 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:33 AM

G'day Mate

:thumbsup:

Hello Abacus. :trumpet: Nice to se you around. :flowers:
Posted Image

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:50 AM

If you can't boot from a CD then you need to create a bootable floppy disk, boot the computer with this floppy, and then run the XP install.

Windows XP Home Edition Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users