Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple G4 Notebook

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matsuimoonbeam

Matsuimoonbeam

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

Just found the website & thought I would ask some computer savy people...I am looking into purchasing the Apple G4 notebook, the small white one, with the 12" screen and have been doing some research on it. All opinions are go. The cons of it seem to be needing to upgrade the 256MB to at least 512 MB in order to run the programs better...also to possibly upgrade from 30GB to 60GB. Does anyone have any familiarity with these issues?

I'm working on a book & like the idea of portability since I live in FL & we're expecting more big hurricanes this season. I also heard there's a student discount of $200 as well.

One of my family members had said to get a used one. After my own experience with my computer crashing...I can't bear the thought of dealing with what could be someone else's problem.

Thoughts? Help?

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:51 AM

I agree that there is something to be said about getting a new computer rather than a used one. To many things could have been done that you just dont know about (soda spilling / smokers ashing etc).

With that said, I agree that with todays apps you really should have a minimum of 512 mb of ram. 30 gb is too small as well. I would definitely upgrade to either the 60gb or maybe even the 80 gb if you plan on storing music on it one day.

As for the screen size, if you can squeeze out the extra cash (i think its 200 more) the 14" screen is goind to make a world of difference.

#3 Matsuimoonbeam

Matsuimoonbeam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:51 AM

Yes, I have the xtra $200. Is it really that much of a difference? I went our Apple dealer a few weeks ago and took a look but I don't remember.

Would it be better to do the upgrades by going into the store and making an order or with Apple directly?

I think the salesman in the store had suggested an extra program in regards to my writing but I can't remember what it was but it was about $250, as well...

Yeah, I'm just really afraid of buying a problem. When it's brand new, I at least have the ability to go back to the store & get help.

Thank you!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:55 AM

Only you can decide if the extra monitor size makes a difference, but it would for me.

The ram upgrades i think was 75 dollars and the hard drive was 125 to the 80gb. That directly from apple.com so the stores should be the same price. If you want to buy it direct (can you buy it non-direct?) then you should buy it from one of the stores as you have a local place to bring it back to.

#5 Matsuimoonbeam

Matsuimoonbeam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:02 PM

I really want to understand my laptop, so I'm reading this site on laptops and how they work...It says that laptops should come with at least 64mb of RAM to support the Operating Systems...how does Apple get away with this offering only 30 to start with? Or can their systems be supported & it's only if you're adding other things into the notebook? HELP!

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:01 PM

Are you sure your not getting confused with ram and hard drive space. I think it comes with 30 GB hard drive by default and 256 megs of ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users