Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Acting Funny

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 CrownVictoriaCop

CrownVictoriaCop

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:38 PM

Internet Explorer has been acting funny. When I enter text, it is delayed. My HiJackThis log is attached,

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 steamwiz

steamwiz

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

Hi

There's no malware showing in your log ...

Just this entry :-

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [?????????] ??????????????e

Did you obscure it before posting it, or is that exactly how it normaly shows in hijackthis ?

If it is, then I want you to remove it ...

Disconnect from the internet Close ALL browser windows (including this one) - run hijackthis and tick to fix (check the box next to) the list below.........when all are ticked (checked) click the Fix Checked button at the bottom. :-

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [?????????] ??????????????e

What you are describing sounds like a lack of resources or possibly a memory leak ...

You have a lot of programs running at startup to begin with, so if you run too many more programs you will eventualy run out of resources, does this only happen when you have a lot of programs running ?

Please Download CCleaner from :-

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ (click the download tab)

During the installation be sure to UN-check the box for "Ccleaner Yahoo Toolbar" unless you want it.

doubleclick the ccsetup.exe file and install the program...

After installing, go to Start > programs > CCleaner > Options > Advanced > UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"

Make sure the "windows" tab is selected

Under "internet explorer" tick...

Temporary internet files
Cookies* > see Note below
History
Recently typed URL's
(leave this unticked if you DON'T want to clear the drop down list in the address window of IE)
Delete index.dat files
Last download location
Autocomplete form history

under "Windows explorer" these are optional, but you can safely tick them all if you wish, they are only "most recently used lists"

Other explorer MRU's
(leave this unticked if you DON'T want to clear lists such as the start\run list)

under "System"

Tick ALL these ...

under "Advanced"

no need to tick any of these (but you can if you want, and realise what they do)

Applications tab...

These will mostly clean out old log files for these applications...

Clean:- (if you use them)

Firefox/Mozilla (optional - leave the cookies - see note)
Opera
Sun Java
ZoneAlarm

Personally I clean everything in the applications tab... but you tick what you want...

Note: *If there are any cookies you want to keep (if you remove the cookie for a site you require a password for, you will need to re-enter your password when you next visit that site) ... click options > cookies > then keep the cookies you want.

click "analyse" if you want to see a list of what is going to be removed, before it is removed.

Or

click "run cleaner" to let it get on with it's work... clicking this will result in the following pop-up

"This process will permanently delete files from your system. Are you sure you wish to proceed?"

click OK.

cheers

steam
MICROSOFT MVP - Windows Security 2004/9
member of ASAP since 2004
member of U.N.I.T.E

If I have helped you, please consider a small donation to help me continue my online fight in the war against malware Posted Image

#3 CrownVictoriaCop

CrownVictoriaCop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

CCleaner worked, thanks for your help!

#4 steamwiz

steamwiz

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

Hi

You're very welcome :thumbsup:

As this thread is resolved, :) it is now locked.

If the original poster would like it re-opened, please send me a PM with a link to this thread.

cheers

steam
MICROSOFT MVP - Windows Security 2004/9
member of ASAP since 2004
member of U.N.I.T.E

If I have helped you, please consider a small donation to help me continue my online fight in the war against malware Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users