Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Kind Of Modem Should I Buy?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:21 PM

Sorry if the terminology isn't right. I need a new device to wirelessly connect to the internet. I currently have a Linksys USB laptop modem, and I'm on a desktop. Furthermore, I've got FiOS, and it's really fast. So it's pretty disappointing to be getting 600kbps on fiber optics. Can you recommend a good modem for connection to the internet without overdoing it and keeping the price down?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

Depending on the speed of your router no Wireless is going to keep up with fiber line connection. Your best choice would be a 10/100/1000 wire Ethernet card. Anything here claims to be faster than 600K. It all depends on your Router and how far you are away from it, how strong the signal is, what technology it is etc....

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users