Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To Networking And Have A Simple Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

And I mean VERY new to networking. Got everything hooked up to the router, got the wireless secured. Went amazingly well, no issues at all.
My computer is wired to the router. If I need or want to reinstall Windows XP, will my husband be able to access the internet during my install?
Common sense tells me he will be able to, but where technology is concerned, anything can happen, and it usually does happen to me. That is why I'm asking this simple, somewhat silly-seeming question.
I wouldn't want him to come storming in the room where I'm at, telling me he has a "situation" and cannot access the internet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:49 AM

Most likely yes. The router should not be affected by the PC's Reinstall. Unless you have something different going on.

#3 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:11 AM

Hi,

If you husband is using a separate PC then he will still be able to access the internet as he is connected to the router and not to your PC.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:09 AM

Thanks folks, that's what I thought.
Just wanted to make sure. He has "situations" at least once a day, usually when I am trying to do something that needs my full and undivided attention.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

Not a problem.

Any further issues, just start a thread and someone will help asap

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~