Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Little Help Or Orientation Please

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rui.rojo

rui.rojo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

I've been trying to learn about all these topics, but at times i get overloaded and some guidance would be welcome :trumpet:.
There are a couple of things that noow I'm seing in my system and don't understand.
1) I am behind a router. I open my firewall (outpost) packet log and see that i'm getting blocked inbound connections EVERY SECOND. Sometimes from different IP's, sometimes from the same. All TCP. AND THE MAJORITY BUT NOT ALL OF THEM SEEM TO BE TARGETTING PORTS FROM 1000 TO ABOUT 5000, CYCLING MORE OR LESS UP AND THEN COMING DOWN AGAIN
My questions about this are... well, my main question is "What is all this?"... The next questions are just so you see my confusion :thumbsup:. Its better if you read numer 2) first, in case it has some link to this :inlove:
a) Is this ammount of bombing usual or is it too much?
:flowers: Why in that list everything that appears is "direction: IN" and blocked? hehe where's the rest?
c) Is there something IN my computer sending to these ips before they answer back? If not, how does my router know to send it to me and not to my brother's computer? Maybe all this has to do with MicroTorrent?
d) How does the firewall program know all this incoming stuff? He opens a socket for all ports and then logs and blocks them? I mean, if the firewall wasn't here all these would be "undesirable" welcomed guests? I'm guessing no, right?

2) I downloaded and tested a program, FastCache, that manages DNS requests making them stay longer in the pc cache, etc... I'm looking at its log and it seems to be constantly trying to access different IPs.in-addr.arpa (that for what i've read it seems that you go there to receive info on the name of the site or network with that ip, right? like opposite to dns). Why is that??! Who needs that? I can't recognise the ips either from other logs...

After all these doubts I'm sure many of you are thinking "Oh, this guy has theese concepts all twisted..." If you know what could i read or search for to clear them out, I'll be glad to do it, and be in the "answering" side of the forum next time :) Thx in advance! :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users