Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add Space To Partion Without Uninstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

i have 2 partions on my computer. a 125 gb one and a 172 gb one. i have windows vista installed to the 125 gb one is there any way to take space from the 172 and add to 125 without reinstalling windows.

Thanks in advance just to let yall know this is by far the most helpful website on the web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

Go to Start and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter

Right click on the partition that you wish to extend (the 125 gB one) and select "Extend".
Follow the wizard to allow it to take from the other partition to do this.

This presumes that both partitions are on the same physical disk. If not, then you'll have to look into the options to span volumes.

Edited by usasma, 16 September 2008 - 05:32 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

extend is dulled out do i delete the other partion first.

#4 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

usasma just to let you know you are by far the smartest computer user i have ever seen. you have helped me with pretty much every question i have had thanks.

Edited by rolltide101, 16 September 2008 - 05:38 PM.

#5 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

i figured it out thanks :huh:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the kind words!
What did you do to figure it out?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 ronfiveo

ronfiveo

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

I was wanting to do the same thing...to extend the C: partition and shrink the remaining unallocated space that was taking up half of my 1Tb drive.
I followed your (usasma) instructions and did what the " wizard " told me it indicated that I could only change so much space and it had the numbers already in the input box so I didn't change a thing...... I just clicked next.... and *poof* done.
I was reluctant to use an outside program like EASEUS Partition Master software to do this .

rolltide101 is right...you are the smartest " advisor " I have come in contact with here at BC .

Thanks for all the help you have given to me and the countless others that you have helped as well.

Ronnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users