Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Some Advise From The Experts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Skippy PB

Mr Skippy PB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

Hello everyone, i have reached a delimma in pursuing my goal to finish my project.

So heres the problem, i want to hook up mutiple computer fans (not within the walls of a computer) and have them wired to a fan controller box on the other side of the room, and then the fan box goes to the power supply. But i need help setting up the power supply part.

So im thinking of having mad fans wiring them to a 3.5 fan controller and then wiring the controller to a standard computer power supply box. Seems legit but after contacting companys they said you need a motherboard to make it all work.

What im asking of you guys is to help me get around this or basically just set it up and like help get it all running. Or if any of you know how to make a power supply run without a motherboard.

Thanks alot guys,

peace

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

Even has pictures
http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Teardrop%201...er%20Supply.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

I read the article but I am wondering what the exact purpose of the resistors is for. When triggering the Green Ps/on wire the power supply should turn on at full power regardless of load. (This is my understanding ). All you would need is a fan controller and a simple on off switch to control the green wire. The purpose of the Motherboard would be to turn on and off the power supply which you can do with a switch.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:43 PM

Almost every site I went to brought up the subject of the resistors I can only assume it's to give some sort of load. Weren't they on the 3.5v circuit?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:33 AM

Hello everyone, i have reached a delimma in pursuing my goal to finish my project.

So heres the problem, i want to hook up mutiple computer fans (not within the walls of a computer) and have them wired to a fan controller box on the other side of the room, and then the fan box goes to the power supply. But i need help setting up the power supply part.

So im thinking of having mad fans wiring them to a 3.5 fan controller and then wiring the controller to a standard computer power supply box. Seems legit but after contacting companys they said you need a motherboard to make it all work.

What im asking of you guys is to help me get around this or basically just set it up and like help get it all running. Or if any of you know how to make a power supply run without a motherboard.

Thanks alot guys,

peace

You can use a resistor or PWM (Pulse-width modulation) to control the speed of a 12V fan. With a load on the +12V line connect pins 13 and 14 (green to black) with a short wired bared at each end. Do not drop the voltage to less than +7V or the fans may not start.

If the object of your exercise is ultimately to draw more air through the power supply you may want to reconsider.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:09 AM

Yes they were on the Molex connector for a HDD. Apparently the PS needs a load in order to operate correctly. :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users