Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't Boot With 4gb Crucial Ram

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 number3

number3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:34 PM

I own an Acer 9410-4933 that when I try to install 4Gb of Crucial RAM ( 2 – 2Gb chips ) wont boot up. Here’s the RAM - http://shop3.frys.com/product/5503990

Here’s the LAPTOP RAM specs –
Memory
Memory Technology DDR2
Maximum Memory 4 GB
Installed Memory 1 GB

ALL SPECS- http://www.pcworld.com/shopping/detail/prt...iler/specs.html

It has 2 slots, I can boot with EITHER chip in EITHER slot or 1 – 2Gb chip and 1 – of my old 512Mb sticks for a total of 2.5Gb but if I put both in the BIOS says 3Gb and the laptop just goes to a blank screen and does nothing.

Any suggestions??

Thanks….

Paul

Edited by number3, 16 September 2008 - 01:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

I had a somewhat similar problem with this desktop.

It would run with PC2100 in one slot and PC3200 in the other...but I could not run two modules of PC3200 (even though they are the same specs).

After experimenting (and running Memtest on the RAM modules), I figured out that the system was fine only when I used the "slower" memory, which causes the system bus to default to a lower value. So even though the motherboard said that PC3200 would work...the motherboard preferred PC 2700 or PC2100.

So I adjusted my BIOS RAM bus...from 200 to 166 (400MHz to 333MHz) and the system has been running without errors, etc. since, using the PC4200. An underclock :thumbsup:.

Your situation seems analogous but you also have to check out your RAM sockets on the motherboard, they can go bad or be dirty.

I would suggest taking a look at the manual for that laptop and see what real recommended RAM speed is. From what I see, "DDR2" is not going to cut it...since all DDR2 is not equal in the eyes of motherboards.

I'd also contact Crucial and see if they have an answer for what you've experienced, especially so if they said the memory you bought would work fine in your system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users