Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP will not start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 civicmexicano

civicmexicano

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:43 AM

I have the same problem on my Gateway PC, anyone know a solution to this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 christiancarlo

christiancarlo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

I have also experienced receiving the error message which says "We apologized for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this". In my case, I could not say that it was caused by a new hardware or software installed because it happened after I turned on my computer and performed Error-checking and nothing else (To perform Error-checking, click My Computer > Local Disk C > Properties > Tools > Error-checking > Check Now). After clicking Check Now a message appeared saying Windows needs exclusive access to some Windows files, then goes on to ask whether I want the computer to schedule the error-checking the next time I turn on my computer. I clicked Yes, and restarted my computer. Then the error occurred. I did not install any hardware of software when I turned on my computer. I just attempted to perform the Error-checking and nothing else.

Then I accessed Safe Mode, performed Defragmenting, and a box appeared saying I must free some space before Defrag would perform properly. I transferred files to a USB until I meet the required disk space. The Defrag was successfully completed. I then restarted my computer and it turned on properly. I wanted to find out whether it was Defrag or the freeing of the space that removed the error, so I returned the same files I removed. I restarted the computer and the error appeared again. I went Safe Mode and returned the files but the error no longer disappeared.

I also noticed that my Internet Explorer reverted back from version 7 to 6. Also, it reverted back from XP Professional SP3 to SP2. These two had been atuomatically upgraded by Automatic Updates.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

I have also experienced receiving the error message which says "We apologized for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this". In my case, I could not say that it was caused by a new hardware or software installed because it happened after I turned on my computer and performed Error-checking and nothing else (To perform Error-checking, click My Computer > Local Disk C > Properties > Tools > Error-checking > Check Now). After clicking Check Now a message appeared saying Windows needs exclusive access to some Windows files, then goes on to ask whether I want the computer to schedule the error-checking the next time I turn on my computer. I clicked Yes, and restarted my computer. Then the error occurred. I did not install any hardware of software when I turned on my computer. I just attempted to perform the Error-checking and nothing else.

Then I accessed Safe Mode, performed Defragmenting, and a box appeared saying I must free some space before Defrag would perform properly. I transferred files to a USB until I meet the required disk space. The Defrag was successfully completed. I then restarted my computer and it turned on properly. I wanted to find out whether it was Defrag or the freeing of the space that removed the error, so I returned the same files I removed. I restarted the computer and the error appeared again. I went Safe Mode and returned the files but the error no longer disappeared.

I also noticed that my Internet Explorer reverted back from version 7 to 6. Also, it reverted back from XP Professional SP3 to SP2. These two had been atuomatically upgraded by Automatic Updates.

You could try Posting this in "Am I Infected?" It sounds more like a Virus in your case?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

#4 christiancarlo

christiancarlo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

I forgot to say that I tried Defragmenting again but the problem remained. I have an anti-virus that work and updated regularly. I also scan my computer regularly, so a virus infection was not likely the cause.

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

OK

You said this?

I transferred files to a USB until I meet the required disk space. The Defrag was successfully completed. I then restarted my computer and it turned on properly.

Then this,

I wanted to find out whether it was Defrag or the freeing of the space that removed the error, so I returned the same files I removed.

Then you restarted and this happened,

I restarted the computer and the error appeared again.

Then,

I went Safe Mode and returned the files but the error no longer disappeared.

OK?

First thing to look at is freeing up Space on your HDD by removing as much unnecessary Programs as possible and also Junk Files so that your HDD can function correctly. It could be the Hardware Error referred to.

Simplest way to remove Junk Files is with CCleaner, Free from here and quite Safe.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Go into remove and Install Programs and remove any programs not needed.

Do that first and reboot and Defrag again, then Post back.

Then we can work on why IE7 and SP3 went backwards.

:thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

Windows XP cannot operate properly without aprox 15% of partition space being free space.

Anything less than that and the user is likely to experience various forms of disfunctionality.

If you are saying that versions of IE and XP changed without your doing so...or doing anything that would invite such change (e.g., a repair install)...then I have to agree with Abacus 7 about the possibility of malware.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users