Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scollys

scollys

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:19 PM

:thumbsup: Hi all, I was just digging around trying to find a way to get rid of a virus and I came across your site. It looks like a good source of information and perhaps now I won't go crazy after all when this "bleeping" computer gives me problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:27 PM

You have found the right place for information and for help, not to mention a cure for computer caused insanity.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 scollys

scollys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:54 PM

Thanks John,

One of these days I am going to have to set some time aside to really try to clean up this computer. I didn't realize I had viruses on it until it majorly slowed down. I had had McAffee installed so I figured I was protected. I also had kept running Ad-aware every couple of weeks. Suddenly it got bogged down so bad do I tried running Noadware and discovered that I had some viruses that could not be removed. Finally I changed my ISP which provided anti-virus software, F-secure I believe. Anyway, now I really have problems. Two of the processes running for F-secure really hog my CPU. I find the only way I can accomplish any tasks anymore is to use the task manager and start shutting things down.

Holly

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:31 PM

I have no experience with F-secure, but if you think this is slowing down your computer to the point where you cannot do anything, then test this by turning it off. If you computer regains some robustness, then you should consider using another antivirus. Many other applications that launch on start up also contribute, each in their own way, to lack of system resources; a smart move would be to review these and kill any that you really do not need (MS Office, RealPlayer, for example).
As to your second problem, try running Ad-AwareSE (and Spybot, if it is installed) in Safe Mode (see the tutorial for instructions for using safe mode); this prevents many applications from accessing files which are therefore "pretected" under normal circumstances by the Windows operating system. It MAY be necessary, in addition, to disable system restore (in case the nasties are hiding themselves in those protected files); do this as a last resort, since you will lose all saved restore points.

If you want a good, free Antivirus, I can recommend AVG.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 kmecc03

kmecc03

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:36 AM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users