Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Message States S.m.a.r.t. Status Bad

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bar

Chris Bar

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:51 AM

Intel Board and Operating System XP Home Media Edition
On boot, message states S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad, Backup and Replace.

Would this mean to backup the drive and replace the data, or would this mean replace the drive? This computer has RAID (but not used), so is that what the reference to S.M.A.R.T. means ?

When I press F4 to continue as noted on the boot screen, all works well (other than being able to do a restore or automatically switch between two users in email) but that is probably the other problem I note below but is outside this issue.....(per forum guidance, not by my knowing anything about computers)

I have the as-purchased 100 GB HD, but added two 120 GB HDs one of which has the Ghost image. Could maybe change a 120 HD to the Primary boot if the current Pri boot drive is going south.

Do I really need to worry about this. I did use the restore disc several weeks ago after not being able to boot the computer for a long time and set it aside for more urgent problems. The restore fixed the problem and thought I was out of the woods once I also extracted Outlook Express and Media Player from a compressed and stored file. I was so elated to have my fast computer working again. Computer had booted just fine without any creepy messages after use of the restore disk.

Have another current issue on this computer identified (Trojan) on this forum but think it is not related....well.....I guess it is not related.....uh...and hope it is not anyway.

Would like to solve without intalling a Norton Ghost backup image or HD change, but that might be where I am headed. Would loose some recent work on an image restore but I can live with it.

What would you do?

OH, almost forgot, had just recently done a scan for HD health and recovery of sectors. Perhaps that initiated the problem.

Edited by Chris Bar, 16 September 2008 - 11:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

Time to replace the hard drive, and ASAP.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

SMART is a routine used by hard drives to report problems that are detected within the hard drive. It suggests that there's a problem - so it's advisable to backup your stuff ASAP. There's no telling when the drive will decide to stop working.

Do you know which of the 3 drives that this message is coming from?

If it's the primary drive that's failing, then you could restore the Ghost image to another drive and boot from it. If Windows balks at the change in hard drives, a repair installation should fix that right up.

"Do I really need to worry about this..." The answer is a resounding YES!!! Most times this does mean that the drive is going to die, and that it's going to die soon. Infrequently it can mean that there's a problem that could be fixed by using a program like SpinRite ( http://www.grc.com ) - but that's an awful lot of cash to throw at a problem with no assurance that it's going to work (and is almost the price of a new hard drive).

OS installation options are:
1) Putting the Ghost image on a new hard drive
2) Getting a set of restore disks from the computer manufacturer
3) Putting a fresh copy of XP from an XP installation disk - and then updating the drivers.

If it were me, I'd go with 1) - it's simplest and quickest.

The new hard drive is your call - but as it dies, there will be decreases in performance at best. At worst, it's just gonna stop working. If you want to try SpinRite that'll be at your own risk - it may or may not work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have a few questions still.
I have already imaged the HD again on an external bookshelf HD (the 100 GB boot drive is the one giving me problems, the other two, 120 GB each, are just there to hold store my data, videos, pictures, etc, and one earlier backup image).

I did run the windows scan and recover program just before this problem, so any old sectors which may have been bad for years may have been activated by my interference in a previously nice-mannered and well-behaved system, thus causing the current problem.

I have the restore disk and used it about four weeks ago which enabled the computer to start after a protracted illness of not starting....screen would always read "no input" and try to start again. I finally broke down and used the restore disk, which seemed to solve the problem.

One of the two 120 GB drives has little to nothing of importance on it, and am considering transfering the image to that drive if I can make it the boot drive. I do not have the XP disks, since BestBuy did not sell them with the computer, only the restore disks...(live and learn). I am not sure I can transfer the entire system to a new drive with just the restore disc and an image. And if I could, I would not know how to do it.

Lastly, I have been away from computer guts since MS conversion to Windows...kinda an old DOS vet who still swoons at "plug and play". Is Computer Shopper still around to ID a lower cost source of a new WD drive? Store where I bought my extra drives is OOB. Or where is a cost effective source....Amazon? Don't do ebay here.

Bottom line...I need to get new operating system drive quickly or sooner. Thanks. Any comments on my above drivel?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:17 PM

www.newegg.com
www.pricegrabber.com
www.pricewatch.com

Edited by garmanma, 16 September 2008 - 07:20 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

What's the make and model of your system? That'll help us with the recovery stuff.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

Computer Best Buy store branded VPR Matrix Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ Intel Motherboard; HDs are WD not sure what all you might need. XP Home 2002.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

Computer Best Buy store branded VPR Matrix Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ Intel Motherboard; HDs are WD not sure what all you might need. XP Home 2002.

Get the model number, serial number, and part number and head to http://www.westerndigital.com and see iff your drives are under warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users