Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 roc1911

roc1911

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:18 AM

As part of a maintance program of keeping my computer clean and updated, I try to run a "CHKDSK" once a month or so.
Last night I ran it and when it got to stage 4 of 5 (verifying file data) I got a message that stated " Windows replaced bad clusters in file 50056, NAME\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1\LOCAL~1\APPLIC~1\ GOOGLE\GOOGLE ~1\O1C1CA\dbu2d.ht1
So, I thought I better tun it again and I did and everything came out fine.
Can someone tell me what this all means?
What is a "Bad Cluster" ?
What would cause a "Bad Cluster"?
Is this something i should check more often or be concerned about?
Thank you in advance
roc
Posted Image
Posted Image
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
TO KNOW WHAT IS RIGHT AND NOT TO DO IT,
IS TO BE WITHOUT COURAGE........CONFUCIUS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:35 AM

A description of a cluster: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_(file_system)
Since it stores information about a file, it's corruption can cause a program (that uses that file) to malfunction.

Causes are numerous. It can be caused by a hardware problem (a bad hard drive, file system, memory, etc) or by drivers (that act improperly), or by software (that's not functioning properly). It can also be caused by other factors such as power surges and outages, lightning storms, etc.

As long as chkdsk can fix it - there shouldn't be any issues associated with it. If it can't fix it, or if it continually requires fixing - then you'd have to look into it further.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 roc1911

roc1911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

Do you think that there is a "serious" chance of bad hard drive?
Should I run this chkdsk like every day or every other day for a few days to see if the error comes up again?
Thank you your quick response.
roc
Posted Image
Posted Image
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

Info on chkdsk /r and bad clusters, courtesy of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941 :

"The fourth stage of CHKDSK is only invoked if the /R switch is used. /R is used to locate bad sectors in the volume's free space. When /R is used, CHKDSK attempts to read every sector on the volume to confirm that the sector is usable. Sectors associated with metadata are read during the natural course of running CHKDSK even when /R is not used. Sectors associated with user data are read during earlier phases of CHKDSK provided /R is specified. When an unreadable sector is located, NTFS will add the cluster containing that sector to its list of bad clusters and, if the cluster was in use, allocate a new cluster to do the job of the old. If a fault tolerant disk driver is being used, data is recovered and written to the newly allocated cluster. Otherwise, the new cluster is filled with a pattern of 0xFF bytes. When NTFS encounters unreadable sectors during the course of normal operation, it will also remap them in the same way. Thus, the /R switch is usually not essential, but it can be used as a convenient mechanism for scanning the entire volume if a disk is suspected of having bad sectors. "

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

chkdsk scans the file system on the hard drive. This is created when you format the disk - so it's not directly related to the health of the hard drive.

You can have chkdsk errors on a healthy hard drive. Just keep doing what you were doing on the schedule that you were doing it. If the error becomes repetetive, and if you have other symptoms - then it may be time to look into things. Right now (with just the one chkdsk error) just sit back and relax. :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 roc1911

roc1911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

OK,
Thank you.
Wow, quick, precise, and very friendly answers. One could not ask for anything more!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Have a great day
roc
Posted Image
Posted Image
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users