Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp3 Installed Automatically

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 judda

judda

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:10 AM

Hello Guys,

I haven't written for a while (you solved my previous problems (vbs)) although I like to read about the help and advice you all give.
Iam 68 years old and get by on my computer, but not computer savvy, so to speak.

My computer installed XP3 about two weeks ago now, and since then I can't update anything on my PC, I click to install updates (evens Windows updates) everything goes through the rigmarole of updating and installing, then Nothing, I get the same message ie System Mechanic professional has updates for instance.

I have the familiar yellow Windows (update needed) shield on my tool bar, I click it, and as before goes through the updating sequence, then tells me install failed ???

I have read here on these pages that I can uninstall XP3 in Safe mode, and keep it off my PC until everything possible has been ironed out by Windows.

I have honestly tried hard to do so (use Safe mode) But I just keep going back on the same things, press F8 use keypad to click on the correct procedure etc..
Nothing seems to work for me.

Is there anyone who can explain in total laymans language, what I could do to remove the XP3.

I can't udate my anti virus and firewall programs, which I am afraid may harm my PC before not too long.

Thank you for your constant help, all of you, I am getting desperate here <s>

Judda

Edited by judda, 16 September 2008 - 05:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:35 AM

System specs please? There have been issues with SP3 and AMD processors and also SP3 and computers from HP and other boxmakers. You're going to need SP3 so getting rid of it isn't the best solution but there are other solutions.

#3 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:31 AM

Hello frankp316,

Thank you for your swift response,

I am using Windows XP Professional : Version 2002 : Service Pack 3,

If you need any specific info please ask me (and how I can obtain the information you may require)

I just want to be able to update my programs etc, getting rid of SP3 was my first thought <s>

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

Judda.

#4 Wingman

Wingman

• Malware Response Team
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

You should be able to use Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs and find SP3...remove that way. Eventually, as frankp316 mentioned, you will need SP3...so this should only be a temporary measure.
How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
Admin/Teacher at Malware Removal University You too could train to help others.
Member of UNITE
I seek not to know all the answers...but to understand the questions - Kwai Chang Caine

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:36 AM

You didn't mention what brand of computer you have.
Also, what is the model number of the computer?
(HP, Compaq, Dell, etc)

#6 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

Hello Wing Man,

I did all 3 methods on the windows help site you linked for me,
Method 1, Add & Remove Service Pack 3, it went through the unistall then I got a message.The system cannot find the file specified : The Service Pack 3 was not uninstalled.
Method 2, use the hidden $NtServicePackUninstall folder, and got another message. c:windows\$NtservicePackUninstall$\Spuninst\Spuninst refers to a location that is unavailable.
Method 3, Use system Restore, System Restore didn't have a restore point from before SP3 was installed.

Question::: I have a Genuine Windows XP Install disc, is it safe to use the method they describe, I am not too computer savvy as I said before.

Thank you so much for your willingness to help.

Judda.

#7 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hello Queen-Evie,

The computer was made up for me, By a lady I know (A long Story) How would I get the model number etc...? Thank you for your offer to help.

I really appreciate the effort you all put in to help the likes of myself, who is not too computer savvy etc..

Judda.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:06 AM

Frank mentioned
"issues with SP3 and AMD processors and also SP3 and computers from HP and other boxmakers."

You don't have a box system so that part of the equation is out.
Now I'm wondering if you have an amd processor. I don't know if the issue occurs in custom built systems which do have amd. Someone else will have to answer concerning this.
My custom built not a dell dude has is amd, but SP3 was installed by the tech who built it.

If you don't know what type of processor you have, run Belarc Advisor. Look under PROCESSOR and let us know what it says.

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

It is safe to use the other method with the XP disk IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY.
But just to be safe, back up anything you don't want to lose JUST IN CASE. (regular backups are a good idea anyway). Print out the instructions, and before you start, highlight the portion with the steps to follow. This will save a lot of time looking through them all to get to what you want.

But before using the disk, wait a while if you can to see if there are other solutions.

Edit to add: I reread Frank's response AND I found this:

Update for Windows XP (KB953356)

which seems to indicate that even custom built amd machines can be affected by SP3.

What you describe doesn't fit the accepted picture of problems associated with the conflict but it is still possible this is the reason. Recently someone else had issues which kind of fit the description of the constant reboot but he/she eventually was able to log on to the computer. Turned out it was SP3 fighting with his/her HP amd processor.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 September 2008 - 08:22 AM.

#9 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hello Queen-Evie,

I did as you said, the processor is AMD Pentium 4, if that is a help.

I will look at the other links you sent me, and let you know if I can do anything to help.

Thank you once more.

Judda

PS...I have to leave the computer for a while, I have to go to have injections in the base of my thumbs, I have Osteo Arthritis in all joints, But I will be back within an hour or so, and I will read the all the pages then.

#10 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:50 AM

Hello Guys,

I am back on my PC, I have tried everything here suggested by the ever helpful members (Thank you)

I even tried to use Recovery Console from Genuine Windows XP Pro disk, to no avail ( Recovery Console didn't materialise)

A simple question, What do I do...to get my programs to update and install, Even Windows own critical updates fail to install, My Firewall and Anti-Virus programs cant update ie.. System Mechanic Pro.

If I can't get them to update, surely removing SP3 (even temporarily) is a solution, But I can't even do that.... I am at my wits end....

Is there anyone out there Please... who can help me with this problem, If so I would be very grateful.

Could I ask, if you can help, please use the easiest laymans language, I am not computer savvy.

Thank you.

Judda.

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:19 AM

G'day Judd,

BTW, us older Blokes get our Aches and Pains that the younger ones laugh about now, but we will have the last laugh when they get to our age?

I don't know if I can Help or not, but maybe if you use Belarc to give us a few more Details on your Custom built Machine it may help us track it down better?

First thing I want to say is that Belarc gives you a Fingerprint of your System that can be used to track it down if Stolen, so Please, BE careful what you Publish from that Log on the Net. It is serious, that is why I stress it. Don't Post any Personal Details or the actual Log.

What may Help is full Details of the CPU Chip(any other Details beside AMD Pentium 4)? Motherboard, RAM, (Memory), BIOS Type, HDD size and type, Programs running, (in case of conflicts there?)

Try them for a start, Mate?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 17 September 2008 - 05:25 AM.

#12 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

Hello Abacus 7,

Thank you for trying to help, Had injections in my thumbs yesterday afternoon, still sore, But the benefits are tremendous <vbs> Hope everything is A OK with you. !!!

Information is as follows.

XP Pro Service Pack 3 Build 2006...1.60GigaHertz AMD Pentium 4 Processor...128 Kilobyte Primary Memory Cache...256 Econdary Memory cache
582.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity...561.79 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space.

ASUS DRW-1604P [CD-ROM drive]
ATAPI COMBO 48XMax [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

EPSON Stylus Storage USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Maxtor 6Y080L0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y20MYVKC, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy
ST350083 0AS USB Device [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive

Enclosure Type: Desktop...
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-K8NE
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F4 04/21/2005

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 62.91 GB 47.04 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 19.04 GB 18.97 GB free
g: (NTFS on drive 1) 500.11 GB 495.79 GB free
Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller (2x)
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller Tul Corporation, RADEON X300SE [Display adapter]
Tul Corporation, RADEON X300SE Secondary [Display adapter]
FAC YM22RPA [Monitor] (21.7"vis, s/n 7732TE002309, August 2007)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
NVIDIA nForce™ RAID Class Controller
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller Realtek AC'97 Audio
Communications Other Devices

Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.67 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.254
Physical Address: 00:17:3F:31:2D:BC
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.65 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.254
Physical Address: 00:0F:EA:F2:F0:28

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.254
EPSON CX4900/CX5000/DX5000
FUJIFILM FinePix E550
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2
NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
Generic USB Hub
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device (2x)
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub (2x)

I don't know if this is overkill, But I want you to have as much information as possible.

Thank you once more for helping me.

Judda.

Edited by judda, 17 September 2008 - 07:59 AM.

#13 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

Hello everyone,

My son was really concerned that I couldn't upgrade my PC, security, Anti Virus etc, etc,

He has bought and installed Vista on to my PC, and everything has been upgraded and working perfectly.

Thank you to everyone who offered me the advice and showed me how to gain information for and about my computer, as I have said before and will continue to do so,

You guys are the best and I appreciate everything you do for us who are less able to look after our PCs as we should.

Thank you all.

Judda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users