Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice About Ff

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:10 PM

Hi Everybody,

I'm not sure where to put this topic so I'm sticking it here because my OS is XP Home Edition. I have been using FireFox, for some time now, and haven't had any real problems other than nothing showing up in the Google search menu that drops down until I run my mouse up & down in the results box. But once I found out that by doing the mouse over thing I was able to see the results of my search I figured that I could live with that.

But now comes along another problem... a couple of days ago ALL of the sites that I had in my 'Bookmarks' vanished! :thumbsup: All except the last two that I had added a few days earlier.

Have any of you had that happen to you? If so... How do I get those things back? I mean other than by trying to remember all thirty-five or forty sites names, going to each site, and bookmarking them all over again.

Do any of you have any idea of what might have caused that to happen in the first place?

Thanks for any replies.

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:24 AM

Try this, to recover your bookmarks:

Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ random characters.default

See if you have a file in there named bookmarks.html.
That's your bookmarks.
If it's in there, it's possible it has become corrupted.
Right click it, and select Delete, then proceed to the next step.

If it's not in there, proceed to the next step.

Now, open the file called bookmarkbackups.
Locate the file with the most recent date.
Right click it, and select Copy.
Click the Back button, closing the bookmarkbackups folder.
Now, right click on an empty area in the open window, and select Paste.
Right-click the file you just Pasted, and Rename it to bookmarks.html.
This will put a copy of the most recent backup, in your Profile folder.
Close the Profile folder.
Re-start Firefox, and see if you have your bookmarks.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:04 AM

Fortunately, Firefox backs up the last five instances of your bookmarks.

Bookmarks/ Organise Bookmarks. Click on "Import and Backup" at the top of the resultant page. The dropdown box there will have a "restore" line that you can highlight and select of of the dates to use.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

Hi tg1911,

Thanks for the reply, and for moving this topic to the appropriate forum. I gave your suggestions a go, but alas no luck.

Hi jgweed, Thanks for the reply, but here again no luck. Though I have to say that I couldn't follow your suggestion the way that you gave it as my FF seems to have a different menu. I mean it has the 'Import' option but no 'backup' option, so I'm out of luck there.

I can, however, import my entire list of favorites from IE over to my bookmarks in FF. But I don't really want to do that. So is there anything else that I might try to recover the ones that vanished from FF before I do that?

Thanks for your help guys.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:21 AM

I believe there are a couple more things to try here
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:32 PM

Hi garmanma, Thanks for the reply and referance link.

Well, I checked it out and tried all of the things that it recomended. Sad to say that none of it worked for me :thumbsup: . So I geuss I'll just go the long way around, import everything from IE, open it in FF and bookmark all of the stuff that I really need in FF, then dump the IE imports into the inter-galatic bit bucket of cyber space.

Thanks again for all of the replies guys.

Wendy

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:31 AM

You're welcome, Wendy.
Sorry we couldn't help you out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:33 AM

Hi tg1911, Thanks for the reply.

Hey... don't sound so down Boo :thumbsup: , almost any reply that I get to questions that I ask on these forums gives me some sort of help, if nothing else you guys cause me to do a lot of reading that I wouldn't have done otherwise, and there have been times that I actually remembered some of what I had read and was able to fix a problem without having to ask for help a second time.

Not to worry about my bookmarks, I'll just go the long way around to get them back.

Thanks again for your help,

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users