Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Memory

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 G_io

G_io

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:44 PM

While working on the computer it suddenly crashed ... after that it wouldnt startup again just long continuous beeps. After 30 min or so i tried to restart the computer again, loaded up fine i ran the diagnostics that Hp came with and while running the diagnostic it failed and than crashed again (did this twice). so now im convinced thats the issue though i dotn know why it would mess-up being that i have not even had it for a year yet.

Well on trying to purchase new memory online the sticks are being sold in pairs..why? can i not replace just the stick that is bad? (it has four slots and each stick is 1gb) :thumbsup:

I have an HP D4650E if that helps any.

Edited by G_io, 15 September 2008 - 11:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

Hi G_io,

Welcome to Bleeping Computers. What makes you think that it is a bad memory stick that is causing your problem? I see that you said that you had a HP computer, it might also help if you told what your operating system was. ie XP, Vista.

I don't know why some memory sticks are sold in pairs. I have an E Machine and when I wanted more memory it came one stick to a pack, so I just bought one.

I would advise you to wait a day or two and let some of the experts on here have a chance to reply to your topic before running out and buying any new memory though. I mean most of that stuff isn't cheap, and once you open it or have it installed in your PC it's yours... like no refund.

Good luck,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 G_io

G_io
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:42 PM

Well I believe its the memory, because I have been googling my problem and thats what sounds closest. And, everytime I run the diagnostic software HP has Pc doctor i believe it is ..it always freezes or just turns off ..and again it wont reboot it just beeps.

My pc is running win xp media center

If I leave the computer off 30min or so, it will load fine once I start running programs that is when it hangs-up a bit than just turns off.

But im more than hoping its just a memory issue or else I wouldn't know how to fix it, and would have to spend more money....In college = Poor

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

Try running Memtest86 for a second opinion on whether it's your RAM.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:06 AM

Hi G_io,

Yeah, what Budapest said. They're one of the experts that I told you about earlier. Hope you get your problem fixed without having to spend any money doing it too.

Good Luck with your PC, I know what you mean by Collage = Poor :flowers: , but don't forget that Getting Educated = Tons of money later. :thumbsup:

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:47 AM

If I leave the computer off 30min or so, it will load fine once I start running programs that is when it hangs-up a bit than just turns off.

That right there signifies that it is a heat related issue and not RAM.

#7 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:11 AM

How would you describe the beeps? long short, fast slow, how many etc...

Alternatively tho you can try the following isolating steps.

1.Turn on the PC.

2.Listen and write down the beep code. Also note whether the case fan is spinning or making strange noises.

3.Turn off the PC by holding the power button for 5 seconds.

:Note: Perform each of the following tasks, in order, until the beeping stops.
Before starting each task, unplug the power cord and remove the side panel.
After completing a task, replace the side panel, connect the power cord, turn on the PC, and listen for a beep code.
If removing or disconnecting a hardware component is found to prevent the beep code, the associated hardware component is probably causing the problem.

4. If the case fan was not spinning, make sure the case fan is connected to the proper pinouts on the motherboard. Replace the fan if it was making excessive noise or was not spinning. If you had to plug in or replace the fan, replace the side panel, plug in the power cord and turn on the PC. If the beeps persist, go to the next step.

5. Clean cooling components that have become clogged with dust. If beeping persists, continue to the next step.

6. Remove a memory module.
If the PC stops beeping, the memory module may be bad, is the wrong type of memory for the motherboard, or was not fully seated/connected. Try reseating the memory into the socket to see if a connection was the problem, otherwise replace the module.Remove each memory module, replacing the one that was previously removed. Once all modules have been checked, if beeping persists, continue to the next step.

7. If your computer has a graphics card, remove it.
If the beep code changes or continues with the same beep pattern, the video card may still be good. reseat the video card into its socket and continue to the next step. If the beep code goes away, the video card may be bad. Try reseating the video card, making sure it is fully locked into the connector on the motherboard. If problems persist, replace the card.

8. Remove a PCI card.
If the beep code goes away, the card may be bad. Try reseating the card into its connector on the motherboard. If problems persist, replace the card. Remove each PCI card, replacing the one that was previously removed. Once all cards have been checked, if beeping persists, continue to the next step.

9. Disconnect hard drives and CD/DVD drive cables (IDE/ATA) from the motherboard socket.
If the beep code goes away, the cable or socket is probably bad. Look for bent pins inside the IDE socket on the motherboard and straighten any bent pins. Try reseating the cables into the connectors. If problems persist, the drive itself may be bad and may need to be replaced. Disconnect each drive cable, replacing the one that was previously disconnected, until all have been checked. Once all connections have been checked, if beeping persists, continue to the next step.

10. At this point, the problem probably involves the motherboard or processor. Make sure any jumpers on the motherboard have not fallen off their pins and into the case. Make sure jumpers are set correctly.

Hope this makes sense, its a lot to look at but try it step by step.

Any problems just post back

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#8 G_io

G_io
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:37 PM

No prob with the long post as long as it helps doesnt matter what it takes...

Currently on the computer now have cleaned it out of A LOT of dust, fans are working fine 3 total.

Now just waiting to see what happens...

#9 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

No prob with the long post as long as it helps doesnt matter what it takes...

Currently on the computer now have cleaned it out of A LOT of dust, fans are working fine 3 total.

Now just waiting to see what happens...

No update yet.....

Hopefully its working ok still and a build up of dust caused the problem.

If not your probally drop kick the thing around the room...??? :thumbsup:

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

As to your question why RAM modules are sold in pairs. Most computers now have the ability to run the RAM in dual channel which makes for a large performance increase. In order to run in dual channel you need to have sets of two matching modules, this is why most are sold in pairs. You can still purchase single modules, you just have to look for them. You might consider looking at Newegg.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 G_io

G_io
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

Well as far as for an update since this afternoon.. I opened the case sprayed it down (air ofcourse :flowers: ) hooked it back up and it was on for 3 hours. I had to leave though but its back on. Im afraid to run it like did with multiple programs running. but, so far so good kinda excited.

Yes when I first thought about it being the memory I was told to go to newegg.com... thats how i came up with that question of needing two sticks. I have 4 ports in my computer and I was under the impression i just needed one stick so when i wen to the website i just got confused because they were being sold in pairs...

:thumbsup:

#12 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:53 AM

Hopefully now its ok and clearing the dust has done the job.

Try running a couple of intensive apps to push your PC and see how it runs.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

#13 G_io

G_io
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

Well it has been a day and not a single crash... i cant seem to find my photoshop cd, thats about as intensive a program i currently have. I have been running word & excel 07, firefox, and yahoo messenger it hasnt been hanging up either. Its a bit strange to me why the dust was causing so much trouble, BUT I am glad that is what (seems) to be the problem.

The only thing that im noticing is that internet is slower, or some of the pages take longer to load when i never had internet issues before...

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

Try dumping your IE cache, Internet Explorer 6 How and Why to Clear Your Cache - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/us...clearcache.mspx AND Clear Your IE Cache (Windows) - http://webdesign.about.com/cs/internetexpl...learcacheie.htm

Louis

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

Well it has been a day and not a single crash... i cant seem to find my photoshop cd, thats about as intensive a program i currently have. I have been running word & excel 07, firefox, and yahoo messenger it hasnt been hanging up either. Its a bit strange to me why the dust was causing so much trouble, BUT I am glad that is what (seems) to be the problem.

The only thing that im noticing is that internet is slower, or some of the pages take longer to load when i never had internet issues before...

Also call and check with your ISP to see if they made any DNS Changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users